Bad Bandwidth/ping

viktorvaughn

Beta member
I have gigabit internet service through spectrum. a Nighthawk AX8 Wifi 6 router. my nighthawk app on my phone shows that the router speed tests at around 900 MBPS. i have a custom PC with a Asus Z170 motherboard. the computer is hard connected with a cat7 ethernet cable that runs about 50 feet to the pc. no matter what i do i cant get my PC to speed test higher than 300MB what do i do?

All Z170 retail boards have gigabit LAN so you should be getting full speed. Have you tried updating your drivers for your LAN?

Yes all drivers show up to date when in device manager checking for automatic updates so I uninstalled them restarted, reinstalled same, tried again downloading direct from Asus and manual, same

Just curious, what are you using to test your speeds?

You mention ping, so high latency? Have you ran a tracert to see where the latency spikes?

Have you tried testing to different servers if using speedtest.net or testmy.net? Not all servers can output 1Gbit. What happens if you run multiple speedtests from different machines on your network, do you get a total of ~1Gbps on all devices combined?

Well if you want to see the actual wire speed you would want to use iperf to test, which will test from the nic and not the OS. there are some public server on the internet if you search for em. You're probably closer to that 900 then you think.

Back
Top Bottom