54g Slow to detect wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratpig

Solid State Member
Hello,
I have a NetGear MR814 Wirelss Router and an older Compaq connected to my network wirelessly via a NetGear wireless PCMCIA NIC. This works fine all the time. My prob is when I bring my new Compaq Presario 2100 home, the Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g network adapter takes about 1/2 hour to detect the network. What gives? I have updated all drivers.

If you have a firewall running that could be a big factor. Disable it and then you'll know if thats the problem.

The only firewall involved is whatever comes embedded in the router itself. I have not installed additional firewall software.

Is it possible to disable the hardware firewall?

yes log into your router... just type in the default gateway into your browser. It opens a setup page for the router, you may have an option that just says "disable firewall", or you may not. If not its called DMZ, you want to enable that.. it stands for demilitarized zone, just turns off the firewall. I think they just wanted to confuse us :).
Also, this is really wierd, so you said you updated all the drivers... I assume the firmware on the router right?
EDIT: This shouldn't be necessary, but you can download a free program called netstumbler, it might detect it quicker, then you just click, and you're in.. it's worth a shot.

Ratpig, the article that you read is 100% true. The DMZ option has nothing to do with your card recognizing the Wi-Fi network. All this will do is set 1 specific IP address outside of the gateway/router's firewall...nothing more. Also, NetStumbler will not nesscessarialy allow you to connect to the network by clicking on it....this is the operating system's job. NetStumbler will simply show you the signal value of a wi-fi network that is close and maybe available. Upgrading the firmware of the gateway/router may help, but this is usually hit or miss.

-Mike

Well I'm going to keep searching for an answer and I will keep everyone updated on anything I find. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom