What antivirus software should I use for Linux?

KimKat7997

Baseband Member
Long ago I was brought up on Sun Solaris at my first job, but this was before Linux. Certain reductions in the tech industry caused a reversal of my fortunes so home builds became very low priority compared to easy and cheap. Long story short, never used Linux but I'm making my laptop into a dual boot with Ubuntu (seemed like the best option) and need to know what security software I should have. I'll be using it for coding and am planning on using a dedicated programing environment. I think the entire process will end up in projects, but not sure on that yet. Thanks all!

I consider Windows viruses hard to get as well, which is why I haven't run an AV in many years now ;). But I also use common sense.

I subscribe to Avast Premier, and I really enjoy it! Pretty cheap for a year's subscription.

EDIT: Didn't realize this was for Linux. I have zero experience with that, and apologize for throwing my hat in without providing myself full disclosure.

Last edited:
I consider Windows viruses hard to get as well, which is why I haven't run an AV in many years now ;). But I also use common sense.
You mean Microsoft Security Essentials FTW! 4 years strong without any issues. I also do a malewarebytes scan every 6 months or so too.

There is no need for antivirus in linux

That depends.

From the link I posted from Ubuntu's wiki:

Isn't Linux virus-free?

For the most part, Linux is engineered in a fashion that makes it hard for viruses to run. However, there are many reasons you might want a virus scanner on your Linux PC:

1. you are required to have a virus scanner installed by the terms of use of the company you work for or are doing business with
2. to scan a Windows drive in your PC
3. to scan a Windows-based network attached server or hard drive
4. to scan Windows machines over a network
5. to protect a Windows virtual machine from within the virtual machine
6. to scan files you are going to send to other people
7. to scan e-mail you are going to forward to other people
8. some Windows viruses can run with Wine.
9. Linux virus infections are theoretically possible.

The more important takeaway is this part:
Other Security Issues

A Firewall is more important as it should prevent infections and prevent other types of attacks. SSH is also an important issue so it's worth having a look at the main page on Security.

Back
Top Bottom