Ubuntu Ultimate problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue4paper

In Runtime
Yeah i downloaded ubuntu ultimate edition, except its a 2 gig .ISO which is over the limit for a cd.

Am i able to burn it on a DVD rom instead? Or can i have it on 2 cds? If so how do i do it, i was using nero but i couldn't figure it out.

Thanks again and regards.

You should be able to use a DVD. Why do you want Ubuntu ultimate edition? The Ubuntu Desktop CD comes with all you need on a 700mb CD, and you can add on by installing from the repositories. If Nero can't burn it, there are other programs that can burn ISO's to CD's and DVD's. I use Sonic RecordNow DX, but there's many other programs out there for that purpose.

yeah, i guess I'll try that recorder, I'm using ultimate edition because its more for game purpose, i want to make the full switch to ubuntu if i can get 1 game working and my Ultratv so yeah :p but thanks for the info.

Ultimate Edition is probably just stuff you could add to the standard version with Synaptic. If you use an Ubuntu CD to install, Ubuntu can burn ISO's with just the OS.

And, sorry, but Ubuntu isn't geared towards gaming...Linux in general isn't a gamer's OS. Not to say it's 3d is bad, because Linux's implementation of OpenGL is excellent and the few Quake3-ports and mods for Linux run very well. With Wine, you can run some Windows games, but bugs are likely. What I recommend is dual-booting. Ubuntu allows you to install both Ubuntu and Windows (or another OS) on your PC at the same time, so you don't have to restrict yourself to just one OS. You can use Windows for games and Ubuntu for experimenting with Linux, etc.

I'm actually already on a dual boot, and at the moment I'm overwriting my old ubuntu with gutsy. And i used your recorder program and copied the ISO on a DVD. I restarted my computer but it wasn't recognized so i guess it didn't copy properly, unfortunately.

You probably have it figured out by now, but you have to change the boot settings in your BIOS. Make sure it is set to boot from the CD/DVD drive first then the hard drive second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom