Suggestion For Linux Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADZ

Fully Optimized
I have a suggestion for the linux forum:

We should create a sticky thread that has the linux distros and their pros and cons. There are endless questions on which distros to use (I myself made a post back in the day) I think if every 1 chose a distro and posted the pros and cons, then perhaps the questions can be answered.

I would gladly volunteer myself to do a little write up on Fedora Core 1, as i am a 'n00b' to linux and would learn from it also.

If its a bad idea, your most welcome to say so, or even come up with suggestions / improvements to the idea...

Jammin

[ nice little dancin dude :) ]

I think its a great idea, but Since I "KNOW NADA" about unix, other than "grip" or "gripe" or "grep"... or what ever the ONE command in unix I know <BIG SMILE>

I think we need some "Organization" for you idea.

I guess there are many types of unix/linux or distros, as you call them.... Maybe we do this:

(ONLY IF THIS MAKES SINSE)

We have the main Linux/Unix forum (general stuff / questions)
-below it - (in subdirectories) we have forums that ONLY talk about specific ones, like "Fedora Core 1".

In these specific sub forums, the sticky will go there, instead of the main one.

More or Less, we can have people write this "Important" sticky for each sub forum or "version of linux/unix"

What do you think?
Do you think
1) there are enough versions/types of unix/linux to have sub diretories
2) there will be enough discussions/talk ABOUT each sub directory

Obviously, I don't want to make sub directories IF there is not good reason to make one.

Thanks

I dont think sub-directories is necessary imo. But to elimenate all the "What distro should i go with" questions perhaps a simple poll with users oppinions could be stickied?

Thats a relly good idea. Maybe the subforums are a little much but if it was just one sticky with all the whos and whats of each distro i would definitely think that would be helpful to alot of people.

uhm... maybe the sub directory idea is not clear. IMO it is very much needed (actually, that type of organization is need all over tech forums <smile> )

But, only where its needed. And "needed" means if the sub directory topic is big enough to support its own sub topic.

Here is an example:

* OS - Operating Systems
- Windows
-- XP
-- Windows 2000
-- Windows 98 and others

- Linux/Unix
-- Distro XYZ
-- Distro ABC
-- Distro 123

You have sub topics/forums/etc. to help organize and help people find information fast. Imagine having only one forum for Tech-Forums and ALL post where in it... could you find anything?

NOW, you can "break" down a topic too much, but TF is not even close to doing that yet :)

So anyway,
for Linux/Unix... I saw on other forum, they have about 10 sub topics, like
NetBSD
OpenBSD
FreeBSD
SCO
and other... But like I said before... I haven't a clue about unix or linux...

So I will leave it up to ya'll

Let me know
:)

I like the idea if it will be standardized thruout the forum. I was under the impression it was just the Linux / Unix forum.

It makes things a lot more organized. I guess like the gaming section. that is individual to the console.

We start small.
Got to start somewhere.

The linux forum seems like a good starting place
:)

But, I'm not much for deciding what is important...

SO guys and gals:

What should the subtopics/sub theads be in this forum?

Linux/Unix
-- Installing
-- Hardware Help
-- Application Help
-- Console Help
-- Networking Help
-- Administration
---- Redhat /Fedora
---- Mandrake
---- SuSe
---- Debian
---- Gentoo

Linux/Unix
~ Installing / Setup
~ Application Help
~~ Redhat /Fedora
~~ Mandrake
~~ SuSe
~~ Debian
~~ Gentoo
~~ Others

And in each, perhaps 1 sticky thread where people can post "Common Problems" But cannot post questions or "crap" in the thread. Also how and where to get the distro should be avalible in this thread.

so many different ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom