Fish Shell

iFargle

Linux / HPC / K8s SME
Staff member
Anyone use it? It's been my main shell on my Debian server for the last few months and I'm loving it. Also my main shell on my MacBook.

The autocompletion and highlighting is amazing.

I don't think I can go back to bash :tongue:

fish shell

I have never heard of it but I just looked it up and it looks pretty awesome. I will have to give it a try. Thanks. :)

The only thing I miss from bash is the ability to "!!" to run the last command. "sudo !!" is easier than "up arrow" + Ctrl+A (to get to the beginning of the line) and THEN type sudo. Though I'm sure there are ways around that.

Another huge plus is history searching.

If you type "sudo apt" and press the up arrow, instead of erasing and going to the previous command like bash, it will search for all previously ran commands that contained "sudo apt" and show only those.

ANOTHER good thing is if you have a program like "ls -" and then push the tab key, it will show a list of all - flags and their abilities.

it's really, really nice.

EDIT: can't forget.. if you push "alt+ up arrow" it will show the last part of the last command.

So for example: I list the contents of a directory
ls /home/ifargle
and want to cd to the direcory,
cd (ALT+Up arrow) = cd /home/ifargle
ALT+Up arrow again gives me cd -al

It's just interesting to me :tongue:

Last edited:
Again I would like to thank you for sharing about this program. I can't wait to test it out. Also thank you for going into so much detail about the fish shell providing all of the useful information. :)

Back
Top Bottom