First Post on TF with Ubuntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterhuang913

Retired.
YAY!!! I got Ubuntu up and running on my PIII 800MHz rig. It includes Firefox and Ubuntu is quite nice. The O/S does seem to be "heavier" that XP Home and it does seem to run a bit slow.

Question: What's the swap and ext3?

Congrats ^_^. Ext3 is the equivalent of NTFS. Swap is the partition that you made during the Ubuntu install...not exactly sure what it's for but I'm sure a bit of googling could answer your question quick of what exactly it is =).

swap = the equivalent to virtual memory on windows. Its extra ram if ever your computer runs low. But anything over like 1.5 gig of physical memory, then you don't really need a swap and can just convert it back to hard drive space.

Where is the HD for Linux?

I went to Places>Computer and it shows three drives: CD-RW, 10.0GB (my win partition), and filesystem. Where do I put my file?

Another question is that PM8 is giving me an error 116 and it's probably because of the Linux partition.

Another question is that PM8 is giving me an error 116 and it's probably because of the Linux partition.

Could be.. btw..PM8 supports all types of system formats
you can also use Gparted which is PM from live cd or you can install from add-remove.

Swap is like virtual memory. In Windows, a page file located on your primary hard drive serves this purpose, but in Linux, a dedicated partition is reserved for "virtual memory" and is called the Swap partition.

Ext3 is a type of filesystem. It is Linux's equivalent of NTFS, but it doesn't require defragmentation. You can read ext3fs formatted partitions or drives using Ext2 IFS For Windows for Windows XP.

On Linux, your hard drive isn't "located" anywhere in particular. Unlike Windows, where symbolic links to drives are located under a central "My Computer" under a Desktop (which is a combination of My Computer, My Network Places, and a folder on your hard drive), Linux has what is called the Root Directory, or /. Your hard drive's ext3fs partition's root folder is /, with subfolders for both items on the ext3fs partition and those from other drives. Linux uses "mounting" to attach locations off of the main partition to the filesystem. Ubuntu mounts other devices for you, and locates them under /media. A CD-ROM, for example, may show up under /media/cdrom. If the CD is named "My Picture CD", Ubuntu may mount it as /media/cdrom, but it will put an icon on the Desktop labeled "My Picture CD", which is a temporary "shortcut" (using Windows analogies) to the /media/cdrom folder. You can mount other partitions as well, such as FAT, FAT32, NTFS, ext2, and others. I prefer to mount everything under /media, to keep the system uniform (mount Windows partition as /media/windows, storage drive as /media/storage, etc).

The ISO I DLed only has the Ubuntu and Memtest. I went to the Gparted website and went to the DL area. It has two files. bz2 and gz extentions. What and how do I use them.

tar.gz and tar.bz2 are tar archives that have been gzip or bzip compressed, respectively. You can extract them with "tar -xvf file", but since you're using Ubuntu you can just "sudo apt-get install gparted" rather than extracting the source from the archive and compiling it. (I assume you downloaded the source, anyway. tar files can contain anything.)

Note: You can also extract tar files using the GUI that Ubuntu has installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom