Job hunting places - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Technology Careers and Education
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Question Job hunting places

Hey guys. I am gonna start applying for a job soon.

I can work as a programmer (low level, network, etc.) and fields related to signal processing, or security and such. Any ideas where I should apply to? Job sites, search engines, companies you know of that are hiring etc.

btw, I am in Canada. And I would like to stay in Canada if possible.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics

i posted a resume on hotjobs (yahoo) right after i graduated college. Just recently, I'm getting a bunch of recruiting offices calling me about temp to perm jobs or contract work.

there's also a tech-careers link at the top of this page.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Awesome. From good companies and such? What kind of contract work are you hearing about? (duration wise)
Old 09-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics

one was phone help desk for 3 months then they promoted you into a specific team such as exchange, SQL, etc. I took the interview, but didnt get a call back. I would have to relocate to get the job. Big Big company, over 600,000 users all over the US, NHI i think was the name in parsipanny NJ. I'd be closing around 60-80 calls a day.

just recently, a lady called me saying she had a job for upgrading servers. Since I already had a job she didnt go into details.

there was a Bank One offer for help desk I which would be mainly password resets for 6 months with the opportunity of promotions to lvl II & III & manager.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

csamuels:

I'm in Canada as well as Chankama and after I registered on monster.com I also started to get emails and calls from... the US. Nothing from Canada whatsoever, no matter what web site.

Chankama:

I myself graduated from a Comp Sci program this February. Since then I got job and got laid off. I've got a lot of job search experience but beats me if I know about any system. It's all purely accidental and depends on good luck.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Chankama, crazzycloe and other Canadians:

This doesn't specifically apply to either of you because it is not programming related but I'm wondering - what sites do you generally go to to look for work? The reason I ask is that I am retiring from the computer field and want to sell my business in Canada.

Job sites like Monster won't post this sort of thing because I'm not hiring as such and I don't think that many people go to the "biz-for-sale" sites. Do you search mostly job sites like Workopolis or would you ever look in online classifieds for a newspaper in your target city?

Thanks,