I Need Change.

Apple would be a good start to get your customer service skills in.
Customer service is huge in Help Desk Support.
Many geeks out there however not all of them know how to communicate with the world.

Honestly customer service / people skills are probably one of the biggest traits you can have.

You could know everything about something, but if nobody enjoys working with you (whether it's end users or co-workers), that will reflect back on you and could hurt your job growth/performance.

Tech skills are relatively easy to learn - it's the people skills that can be difficult for people.

Honestly customer service / people skills are probably one of the biggest traits you can have.

You could know everything about something, but if nobody enjoys working with you (whether it's end users or co-workers), that will reflect back on you and could hurt your job growth/performance.

Tech skills are relatively easy to learn - it's the people skills that can be difficult for people.

Yup
In my current job, I never put down my Flight Attendant experience on the resume since I wanted to put more technical stuff however I brought it up and they were like you should keep that on your resume, they kept telling me how important it is.
Could be a big reason why I got the position, everyone in this team gets along and are really friendly.

Definitely agree with that. That's my one thing I lack on a professional level is customer service. I worked at a 3rd party Verizon retailer once upon a time their company tanked a month and a half after I was their and I scrambled to find a job with ended up being in manufacturing. Love all the face time I got at that job. Making sure people are happy with their overall experience is important to me. My wife laughs at me because I literally can talk to anyone. I make friends when I go to the store all the time. I don't mean to I just like hearing other people's stories.

Definitely agree with that. That's my one thing I lack on a professional level is customer service. I worked at a 3rd party Verizon retailer once upon a time their company tanked a month and a half after I was their and I scrambled to find a job with ended up being in manufacturing. Love all the face time I got at that job. Making sure people are happy with their overall experience is important to me. My wife laughs at me because I literally can talk to anyone. I make friends when I go to the store all the time. I don't mean to I just like hearing other people's stories.

Cool! It sounds like you'd do well in a situation like this one then. PM me when you want to move forward, and I can put the two of you in contact =]

Cool! It sounds like you'd do well in a situation like this one then. PM me when you want to move forward, and I can put the two of you in contact =]
Awesome I won't be able to sit down and do my resume till Friday after my appointment to find out when I will have surgery.

Cool man! I'll see what I can find out.
Alright so I went to go apply for apple and currently they want students affiliated with specific schools. However I took everyone's advice and now have a interview tomorrow with a company that is two minutes from my house for a help desk support role. I'm pretty stoked about it. It starts at 13 dollars an hour during training then increases a few dollars an hour after the fact. It will be an after business hours IT help desk. Which again is a big plus in my book.

Alright so I went to go apply for apple and currently they want students affiliated with specific schools. However I took everyone's advice and now have a interview tomorrow with a company that is two minutes from my house for a help desk support role. I'm pretty stoked about it. It starts at 13 dollars an hour during training then increases a few dollars an hour after the fact. It will be an after business hours IT help desk. Which again is a big plus in my book.

Awesome, congrats on getting that interview.
Keep in mind that it's okay to fail at one, I have and a lot of times it's helped me prepare for the next one.
You start getting a better idea of what types of questions they ask.
Usually they will ask the typical customer service questions
- Give us a difficult situation you had with a customer, how did you calm them or resolve it
- Give us a difficult situation with a co worker, and how did it get resolved
If you had a conflict with a co worker, did you goto the manager or what did you do?
Then they'll ask techincal questions, from
- if a computer is running slow, what would you do
- someone wants to install a network printer, how would you do that?

For attire, I used to always wear shirt and tie, then the last few I started wearing a coat, it's always good to over dress.
I remember one warehouse manager once told my brother that if anyone came in with jeans, he would send them back without even hearing them out.
Always go early, I think you've been in the industry for a while so you probably know all this, just mentioning it just in case it helps
Well Good luck

Awesome, congrats on getting that interview.
Keep in mind that it's okay to fail at one, I have and a lot of times it's helped me prepare for the next one.
You start getting a better idea of what types of questions they ask.
Usually they will ask the typical customer service questions
- Give us a difficult situation you had with a customer, how did you calm them or resolve it
- Give us a difficult situation with a co worker, and how did it get resolved
If you had a conflict with a co worker, did you goto the manager or what did you do?
Then they'll ask techincal questions, from
- if a computer is running slow, what would you do
- someone wants to install a network printer, how would you do that?

For attire, I used to always wear shirt and tie, then the last few I started wearing a coat, it's always good to over dress.
I remember one warehouse manager once told my brother that if anyone came in with jeans, he would send them back without even hearing them out.
Always go early, I think you've been in the industry for a while so you probably know all this, just mentioning it just in case it helps
Well Good luck
Thank you for all of this. I show up over dressed often at interviews. I got another call from another company starts at 15 per hour and is a tier one help desk position as well. It's about 10 mins from where I'm located but I know the company and they have a great benefits package and lots of perks...2 dollars an hour more to start and they give raises often. Seems like I have some great prospects.

Back
Top Bottom