Help with writing a Resume - Career Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2IT

Baseband Member
I need to write a resume, (I currently don't have one), but I am also changing career fields. All of my past work experience has nothing to do with IT so I'm having difficulty on figuring out how to write this. I've been searching the net all night trying to get some ideas, and while I've got some good ones, I'm still not sure how to word my past work experience in a way that won't be too wordy but will also present me well to this employer.

Does anybody have any suggestions or tips for what an IT employer would like to see? The job I'm writing this for is network administration. I have a really good reference for the job, but I don't want to screw this up by sending in a bad resume! I'm a bit embarrassed that I've never written a resume before, but I just have never needed one until now so I'm stressing out because I certainly don't want it to look like this is my first. Any suggestions, tips, or resource links are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Generally, past experience in any job is good for a resumé; it shows your potential future employers that you can hold down a job. I would add in most of your past jobs, but I would neglect to add in 'when I worked in McDonalds for two months when I was 17' ;)

What career field and job(s) are you coming from? There may be some way to make it relevant.

When you write the duties and what not, don't write "Made Hambugers and fries" Try to show something, but don't exaggerate, that has things such as task management, or schedualing. Stuff, while the jobs not related to IT, the duties can be transfered to it.

g/l

What career field and job(s) are you coming from? There may be some way to make it relevant.

Truck driving....but it was local work and I handled some very large accounts so I'm trying to highlight my customer service skills the best I can.

I sure wish I had gotten the name and number to use as a reference of the woman that ran the shipping office for one account I handled. She loved me, she would bring me food all the time....she didn't even do that for her own workers lol.

But anyway....I'm trying to figure out how to tie in my customer service skills and the accounts I handled into working as a network administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom