Favorite computer!

What type of computer do you like?

• Total voters
Got an iMac in the corner that cost about 1500 when for a normal Windows PC would have cost around 600 maybe 700.... Apple has always been about paying for the name regardless of semantics.

I'm kinda all over the place. I only use Windows based machines because of work and gaming, but my work device I was using a Surface Pro 3 and switched to the Macbook.

So basically Windows FTW :lol:
Linux for programmers
OSX for average consumers who just follow popular brands

Linux for programmers
Based on numbers I think in reality it's Windows for programmers and Windows for average consumers too :p

Linux for programmers

I'm a developer and develop on Windows; but that's because I'm primarily a .NET dev and love Visual Studio ;).

Got an iMac in the corner that cost about 1500 when for a normal Windows PC would have cost around 600 maybe 700.... Apple has always been about paying for the name regardless of semantics.

I'm kinda all over the place. I only use Windows based machines because of work and gaming, but my work device I was using a Surface Pro 3 and switched to the Macbook.

You're getting exactly what you pay for, I promise you. Spec out the machines. Here's just a quick example for you. Note that neither Windows machine has the same 8GB of RAM nor the 1TB HDD either. Yes, it's just from one site and yes, you can find deals to make them cheaper at times. The point is, for the size of the screen and the hardware in the computer, the pricing is closer than most folks realize.

AND - the $1,500 would give you a 4K display... so... not even comparable.

Attachments

• Apple.PNG
    Apple.PNG
    17 KB · Views: 2
  • Windows.jpg
    Windows.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 5
Dude, you're talking prebuilt here, but we'll be fair. No you AREN'T getting what you pay for.

The Haswell i5's in those HPs are clocked in excess of 3Ghz (the 4590s goes to 3.9GHz) and are QUAD core desktop chips. You could add 20 bucks extra to the $911 machine to have 8GB of RAM. The iMac has a 1.6GHz dual core in it, and the 1TB drive is a 5400RPM drive which is slower than the 7200RPM 500GB in the HPs.

Now if we're talking custom built (that could be assembled by NCIX and shipped to your door with boxes for warranty) 1100 bucks will buy you an even better machine with an i7, 16GB of RAM, large PCI-E SSD storage, at least a 23" IPS display, and wireless mouse and keyboard minimum with room to spare for software and upgrades.

Admit defeat, you're paying for the name. I have a 2015 iMac in my iLab with me and know the price, specs, and capabilities of it. I also know that it can be easily beaten by a similarly priced or cheaper PC.

I didn't vote in your poll because I think the results will not be accurate.
Having said that, the computer I like is one I cobbled together with my own two paws.
The OS is windows but I do load Koppix7 on from a USB stick to do trouble shooting. I like it.

Dude, you're talking prebuilt here, but we'll be fair. No you AREN'T getting what you pay for.

The Haswell i5's in those HPs are clocked in excess of 3Ghz (the 4590s goes to 3.9GHz) and are QUAD core desktop chips. You could add 20 bucks extra to the $911 machine to have 8GB of RAM. The iMac has a 1.6GHz dual core in it, and the 1TB drive is a 5400RPM drive which is slower than the 7200RPM 500GB in the HPs.

Now if we're talking custom built (that could be assembled by NCIX and shipped to your door with boxes for warranty) 1100 bucks will buy you an even better machine with an i7, 16GB of RAM, large PCI-E SSD storage, at least a 23" IPS display, and wireless mouse and keyboard minimum with room to spare for software and upgrades.

Admit defeat, you're paying for the name. I have a 2015 iMac in my iLab with me and know the price, specs, and capabilities of it. I also know that it can be easily beaten by a similarly priced or cheaper PC.

You really are the build guru! All your posts on builds and specs have really good comparisons and full details of the benefits of each component, I really like that - gj :cool:

You really are the build guru! All your posts on builds and specs have really good comparisons and full details of the benefits of each component, I really like that - gj :cool:
Hardware is what I do man. I'm always on that **** like a fat kid on cake. If we wanted to get silly we could toss OSX on one of those HPs too lol.

If we're talking Macbook it gets even worse. A 2015 Macbook Core M gets stomped by any competing Windows based laptop in that price range because they pretty much all have i7s, and the Pro makes it even worse with the only advantage being a thin and sleek metal body. A 2200 dollar Windows laptop will get you a desktop class 980 and an i7 4790k.

Last edited:

I also noted the entry level iMac, which is the only one that has a dual core. The others all have quads. Since we're talking pre-built, you know it's going to be more than $20 for the extra RAM.

You also have the Thunderbolt port on the iMac along with the HD cam and the high resolution screen (even without 4k).

There's no defeat buddy. If you're comparing with Apple, you have to compare pre-built otherwise you're not comparing (no pun intended) apples to apples. Of course (most of the time) the custom built way is going to be cheaper, but that's not what you're comparing here.

Back
Top Bottom