Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member

Mionix Propus 380 High Performance Gaming Mousepad
By: Lamar Trotter

Introduction

For the past couple of months I have been testing the Mionix Propus 380. Mionix was gracious enough to provide the Propus, as well as a Naos 5000 High Performance Gaming Mouse (see the review here), to Tech-Forums for us to review.

Mionix Facebook page said:
Mionix was founded in 2007 and our head office is situated in south of Sweden. Our goal is to develop products with high performance and suitability for all type of players. Mionix stands for quality, design
and a touch of innovation.
Our goal is to develop products with high performance and suitability for all type of players.

Stars have always been important to every culture. They have been used in religious practices and for celestial navigation or orientation. As well as certain constellations and even the sun, stars have their own myths and the most prominent individual stars were also given powerful names. That is why we named Mionix gaming gear after stars so they can symbolize the prominence in the world of gaming.

Mionix gaming gear like many stars have their own myths. In some cultures stars were thought to be the souls of dead kings and gods. In Mionix culture every gaming gear has a soul inside to help you perform.

Mionix product page said:
A STAR HAS BEEN BORN
The name Propus is directly taken from the Greek word for ”forward foot”. The star is located in the constellation of Geminis. Propus is a red giant star, one of very few bright cool stars visible from Earth. It shines about 2400 times stronger than our sun and has become very famous for being the closest star to planet Uranus. Propus is an ecliptic star and sometimes it hides behind our moon or any of the closest planets in our solar system.

Specifications

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION
  • Material: PVC-plastic base
  • S.Q.A.T value: 9
  • Surface: Ultra-fine texture
  • Dimensions: 380mm x 260mm
  • Thickness: 4mm
  • Back: Rubber based backside for a steady grip
  • Compatibilty: LED-optical & laser

Product Features

What can be said about a mousepad/mousing surface? For most people that answer would be, "Not much." But for those who are computer performance enthusiasts that answer is, "A lot."

The Propus 380 truly is a gaming mousepad. Its size, 380mm x 260mm (15.2" x 10.4") is large enough to accommodate long mouse strokes but not completely dominate the desk surface. The surface of the Propus is top notch and works extremely well with both optical and laser mice. The backing of the Propus is natural rubber that has been textured to give it a solid grip on the desktop (or tabletop in my case).

MODEL OVERVIEW

Mionix Propus 380 is the physical answer to performance, design and innovation. The new developed surface is treated with a special silver-metallic plastic coating. According to test results, this special coating offers optimal tracking conditions and improves the overall performance of the mouse movements. A thin base made of PVC-plastic has been implemented to give the stability from a hard mousepad without compromising the flexibility from a soft mousepad. The backside is made of natural rubber to ensure a steady grip.

FEATURES

Optimal tracking
  • Unique silver-metallic plastic coating ensures optimal tracking
Unique surface
  • Fine textured surface for a smoother glide and precise movements
Extra wide tracking area
  • For sweeping movements without interruption
Hard & flexible
  • Unique material combination for durability and feel

Image Gallery

Test Setup

Test System

• AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
  • Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
  • 8GB DDR3 1600 (2x2GB Corsair Ballistix Tracers, 2x2GB G.Skill Ripjaws
  • EVGA GTX 260 Core 216
  • Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU
  • 250GB Seagate ST3250310AS
  • 750GB Western Digital Black AD7501AALS-00J7B1
  • Lite-On DVD burner
  • Antec 300 Illusion w/120mm side fan
  • Gelid Tranquillo

Testing Methodology

The Propus 380 has acted as my sole mousepad for the past two months two months. During that time I went about my normal computing activities which ranged from working here at Tech-Forums, browsing the 'net, working on personal spreadsheets, and gaming. Although I am not a hardcore gamer, I do use a high-end gaming mouse for all my computing needs and require a mousepad that is able to compliment this choice. I discovered long ago that a generic foam rubber mouse pad is basically useless and only serves to slow down a true performance mouse. I have done my best to put the Propus 380 through its paces for the entire time I was conducting this review.

Results and Impressions

So, how did the Propus 380 measure up? It has officially replaced my previous high-end mousing surface which is high praise coming from this reviewer. I am not one to change hardware or peripherals on a whim as I do my research up front and stand by my choices. While I did not choose the Propus 380 I have found that it is a truly superior mousepad in every way.

Does everyone need a mousepad of this caliber? The answer is no as there are many who are content to use a $5 piece of plastic that came from some big box store. But, for those who have thirst after more control and performance, the Propus 380 is the perfect choice.

Pros
  • Great looks
  • Awesome surface
  • Rugged backing that really grips
  • Price

Cons
  • a little too big for some tastes
  • Can be hard to find to purchase
  • It's not free

Conclusion

Going into this review I figured I would put in the time, write a review, and then tuck the Propus 380 back in its box. I had no idea that I would end up replacing my previous mousing surface that I had researched and been completely happy with since I had purchased it. I can honestly say that the Propus 380 has amazed me at every turn; once I started using it I had absolutely no desire to return to my old pad. The feel and control that the Propus 380 gives is something that must be experienced to be believed.

This review has taken much longer to complete than was warranted due to many different circumstances, which I will not enumerate here; for this I apologize to Mionix.

Rating

The Mionix Propus 380 High Performance Gaming Mousepad deserves the five star rating. It has not only shown itself to be a great mousing surface but supplanted my (now former) high-end pad. Thank you, Mionix, for a totally awesome gaming accessory.

5star.gif

I would like to thank Mionix for furnishing Tech-Forums with the Propus 380. It has been a pleasure to review this mousepad and to learn more about Mionix. I look forward to seeing other great Mionix products in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom