Memory Questions RE: Acer Revo 3610

Status
Not open for further replies.

bipolaric

Beta member
Hi ppl, I am new here, and I am just trying to work out how to navigate the forum.
I Have Some Question regarding an Acer Revo 3610, that I have purchased & I am
waiting for it to be delivered......So here goes.........

I Want to upgrade the memory from 2x1Gb (2Gb) to maybe 2x2Gb (4Gb).
Yet I will still be using a 32bit OS, prob windows xp. Now I know that the 32bit OS
limits (4Gb) to either (3.25Gb) or (3.5Gb)..(not sure which), but even though the
rest of the RAM will not register, But Is It Still Being Used ? I was gonna have the (4Gb) and then allocate 512mb of memory to the nvidia ION Graphics. Prob thus leaving me with the 3Gb spare, Is This Possible ? It maybe better just to install a 2Gb stick, alongside one of the existing 1Gb, giving me 3Gb, but that way after allocating the memory to the ION, I will only be left with about 2.5Gb RAM, will this be enough to stream HD Content......Also I do have a 2Gb stick spare already, it is a : 2Gb 800Mhz 200 Pin SODIMM PC2-6400S 5-5-5 1.8V 128x8..Yet I am told that the memory I need (the 2Gb stick) has to be PC2-6400, Without the (S), and that it has to be 256x 64.........Is 128x8 compatible with 256x64, if not, what sort of problems will I Face if I install it. Please let me know. Any advice would be helpfull.....do I go for the full 2x2Gb leaving me more (even though not all is recognised) Or just stick with 3Gb and If my current spare 2Gig stick isn't good enough, what do I need for an Acer Revo 3610. Thanks In Advance - Mark - (Very Puzzled)

The 32-bit limit for XP is 3.5GB and that includes any video memory.

The Atom 330 in that computer is 64-bit, so you would best served using a 64-bit OS... even if you use some flavor of Linux for now.

You can try installing the stick you have. The worst that will happen is that it won't boot or will just crash on boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom