IT Management Degree

cyklops99

Beta member
Folks, question for you. a serious one, but a long one... stick with me

I am 48 yrs old. back in the days of windows 3.1 windows 95 I got a networking degree, (Associates) and had such trouble finding a job I went into recruiting. fast forward till now, I am working in healthcare as a sleep tech. I need to get off night, and get more $$ flowing.

I am considering going to WGU for their IT Management degree. I'd personally rather go for Data management or something in DATA cause i think thats going to keep growing. but... long story short, my degree I had gotten is useless.

question is, Is IT Management... a waste of my time? I have SOME it background, but well in the past. Shouldnt an IT Manager have an indepth knowlesge of what he's managing? the course work seems to cover "IT fundamentals" but.. I dont know... to me it feels like one of those cover-all degrees that says you can do this, this, and this... but really leaves you short and you're qualified for nothing.

thoughts? i would LOVE advice from those of you who've been in the field for a while. my other concern is I'm an old man at 48, by the time i get out of school, will anyone even hire me??

Hello and Welcome Cyklops99,

I think the thread would be better suited in the Technology Careers and Education thread. A quick answer, ITIL foundations is pretty useful and I find a number of businesses asking for candidates be ITIL ceritified. If you have anything further, perhaps a moderator can move your thread to the correct forum to get more insight?

Back
Top Bottom