Internet Installer Question about Customer Home Cleanliness

CDowney

Beta member
I am an Internet Network Technician and I want to see what you guys think about servicing homes where there is animal feces in the home. We are discussing what a proper procedure for coming to an appointment and the urine/feces is to the point of being uninhabitable. Can we deny them the appointment until they clean it up or reschedule?

This may be a better question for your employer. Does your company have a safety department? They'll be able to help out better than we probably can :tongue:

Personally, I wouldn't care *too* much if it isn't excessive. Like oh, the dog just crapped in here... let me clean it up.

Now, if it was "the dog's been crapping here for months and we haven't cleaned it", that would be a different story :tongue:

My Coworkers and I are in the process of taking over our business as the current owners are in the process of retiring. We are establishing parameters for future guidelines. I am looking online for any OSHA laws on this subject but am not finding any. We have recently been coming in contact with a few homes in a certain area that have animal fecal matter that seems to be an ongoing issue. (EX: My dog regularly goes in the house and it doesn't get cleaned)

Maybe even contact your state's Department of Health + Department of Labor offices?

...I would make sure employees have proper protection so you don't potentially lose a customer. White suit things, a face mask to help cut down on ammonia that may be in the air, nitrile gloves, and those fabric boot covers. Should be standard equipment, and if such a home exists, consider reporting to the health department.

But, your installers shouldn't run from a home, it can cause bad word of mouth for the business, and wastes company resources.

Most installers here keep a few of those zip up suits to cover them and have the boot covers handy, as well as gloves. A 100 pack of nitrile gloves is like $5 at walmart.

I mean...if its that often that its actually an issue than i wouldnt want to turn those customers away since you seem to have a good bit of them.

They arent going to be rolling around in the **** so i would just ignore it and get the job done.

How long really are you in the house during an appointment?

Back
Top Bottom