Gaming Consoles Torrent Traffic

proman0487

Beta member
I'm an IT manager for a network that provides internet to an apartment complex which has 300 apartments. The other day we were doing a network sniff using wire shark, we came across and apartment that was using bit torrent but when ever we try to catch the person he claims that he is only playing PS3 which has the same IP address that we saw on wire shark. My question is does anyone know if the PS3 or any gaming console uses bittorrent traffic for updating games or something along those lines? This is the first time I have seen anything like this if anyone else has had this problem just wondering if gaming consoles are using torrent traffic or if there are any other suggestions on using a different program other than wire shark to help our sniffing efforts. Any information on this will be helpful.

Yha, I'm playing World of Tanks, by WarGaming, and they do all their updates and such via Torrents. However you can, adnd my isp makes me, turn it off and do a direct d/l

I have a feeling though they're fibbing : How to download a torrent VIA PS3 - PS3Hax Network - Playstation 3 Hacks and Mods

But due to the nature of the topic, and no way of honestly proving who you are and if this is legit, I doubt you'll get much more help .

Well I can tell you that this is legit don't really know how to prove it to you but I didn't know if PS3 was using torrent traffic to do updates for games or if they were using a specific port that wasn't in the bittorrent port range or if we should use a different program other than wire shark to sniff the network. We tried Capsa but it was only the trial not the full version.

I'm no expert at all. I guess I was more preparing you for no responses....

As you could imagine, there are lot of skript kiddies that would try and fib to cause trouble. And I'm not accusing you at all of that, you write to properly to be a skript kiddie.

If youre able to use Linux, look into the Backtrax livecd. It's Pentest distro with EVERY Tool.

And this is where my knowedge ends... Oh and torrets can be run through any port.

And this is where my knowedge ends... Oh and torrets can be run through any port.

This.

I believe clients can even be set to run through 80, which is the general HTTP / web port. Usually ends up being slower, but proves that torrents are not port specific.

Back
Top Bottom