Do I need Wi-Fi (or not)?!!!!

Gabeezlebub

Beta member
Hi gang. New to this forum.
I am trying to learn how to play the guitar. I've purchased a number of online courses, but watching them on an iphone is inconvenient for a number of (obvious?) reasons. I would like to put them up on my TV.
After having talked to a number of “experts” I continue to get conflicting and erroneous information on how to do this.
I bought an Apple TV HD streaming box as, instructed, and was told this was all I needed to screen mirror or Air Play the videos. That did not work. Then I was told I would need a router as well. Some tell me that should do the trick and others tell me I will also need to subscribe for Wi-Fi in order to utilize the router for mirroring or Air Play. Others tell me two iphones will do the job, one acting as a hotspot and the other providing the mirroring or Air Play function. Without requiring Wi-Fi.
I don't want to subscribe to Wi-Fi. This is all looking to get too expensive. The Apple TV HD streaming box cost $180.
To complicate matters someone also suggested buying a Jet Pack (not the flying kind)?!?!! How does that work? Still requires Wi-Fi?
There are a million routers out there. Which would suit my needs for mirroring/Air Play only? And which would be best if I take the plunge and subscribe to Wi- Fi? Where can I find the cheapest Wi-Fi plan? So many questions. :(:(
This is all getting complicated, confusing, and frustrating. Maybe I should chuck this whole idea and just get a laptop computer to watch the guitar lessons on. That would be fine by me.

Hi gang. New to this forum.
I am trying to learn how to play the guitar. I've purchased a number of online courses, but watching them on an iphone is inconvenient for a number of (obvious?) reasons. I would like to put them up on my TV.
After having talked to a number of “experts” I continue to get conflicting and erroneous information on how to do this.
I bought an Apple TV HD streaming box as, instructed, and was told this was all I needed to screen mirror or Air Play the videos. That did not work. Then I was told I would need a router as well. Some tell me that should do the trick and others tell me I will also need to subscribe for Wi-Fi in order to utilize the router for mirroring or Air Play. Others tell me two iphones will do the job, one acting as a hotspot and the other providing the mirroring or Air Play function. Without requiring Wi-Fi.
I don't want to subscribe to Wi-Fi. This is all looking to get too expensive. The Apple TV HD streaming box cost $180.
To complicate matters someone also suggested buying a Jet Pack (not the flying kind)?!?!! How does that work? Still requires Wi-Fi?
There are a million routers out there. Which would suit my needs for mirroring/Air Play only? And which would be best if I take the plunge and subscribe to Wi- Fi? Where can I find the cheapest Wi-Fi plan? So many questions. :(:(
This is all getting complicated, confusing, and frustrating. Maybe I should chuck this whole idea and just get a laptop computer to watch the guitar lessons on. That would be fine by me.
Ok folks, I answered my own question after five days of hard work, running around all over the place, and talking to numerous people that should have been able to answer my questions (including the members on this forum, oops, sorry).AppleTV 4K HD WILL mirror screen without another iphone, without a router, without Wi-Fi, and without a smart Tv ,hotspot, or Apple Tv, and without a Jet Pack (whatever that is). It will stand on it's own. Directions would have been nice. At least ones that work.
It turns out that bluetooth and hotspot cannot be turned on simultaneously. Hotspot apparently dominates that situation preventing the phone from pairing with the streaming box.
I will be sure to let the three Apple employees from the Tech Dept. know this.
Now if these guitar instructors can get their poop in a scoop maybe someone will actually learn how to play a guitar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom