upgrading internal hard drive on PS4 PRO

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
I saw somewhere that there is no point of getting the fastest SSD drive for Ps4 pro since the processor speed or memory speed is slower than most of them anyway

anyone has more info on this?

it was briefly mentioned in pone of the articles with no details..

im trying to get a 2 or 4 TB internal SSD drive for it and want to spend as little as possible

so if I can get away with older model of ssd and still get the loading speed increase that would be cool

From what I read an SSD will help the load times but it can only do so much. Is it worth it? I would do it without a second thought.

You are looking at roughly $200 for a 2TB SSD. A 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD goes for $100. I read that the FireCuda is good alternative but I don't know enough about the PS4 to know for sure.

why do you need 2tb of storage for a ps4?
Because games are large.

Don't waste a ton of money on a 2TB for the PS4 unless you just got cash to burn, and don't put it internal.

I currently have a 512GB SSD that I had spare as internal in my PS4 Pro and went the distance to get an NVMe 1TB for an external for it. Keeping your drive external is your best bet for where ever you want games that need speed as USB3 is faster than the internal port.

Does it help significantly? No. It was more of a "can I do it" kinda thing cause I was bored. Is it faster than the internal spinner? Absolutely but the value of that all depends on the person. Mainly because it seems some games are hard set on the time whether it loads faster or not, and others it makes a huge difference like GTA. Thing is, for the most part you'll be waiting on decompression from the CPU before the SSD real speed kicks in. So I'd just get a 1TB for an external and move games to extended storage.

why would they not use internal usb port then if its faster than internal drive bus?
makes no sense
am I behind the times then? I thought the sata interface was always faster than usb
how can external interface be faster than internal it seems backwards
why would manufacturers use an interface that's slower when faster one is available?

why would they not use internal usb port then if its faster than internal drive bus?
makes no sense
am I behind the times then? I thought the sata interface was always faster than usb
how can external interface be faster than internal it seems backwards
why would manufacturers use an interface that's slower when faster one is available?
Xbox One and PS4 both use SATA 2 interfaces for cost savings because 5400RPM drives don't even saturate SATA 1 interface. On the PS4 and PS4 Pro the front two USB ports share the same interface and power (think 2 ports plugged into one) also for cost savings. Luckily if you have a PS4 Pro it has a 3rd USB 3 port in the back that is it's own channel and power source (direct to board).

Point 2 is file system. These consoles are geared to run/load/etc off a slow 5400RPM drive that needs to access certain areas of a platter at a specific time and therefor is partitioned specifically for this reason. If you take the drive out and put it on a machine with Partition Wizard or Macrium you can see this weird partition system that their file systems are geared for. This is why SSDs internally don't grant that much of a performance gain. External storage devices on the other hand aren't formatted that way, at least not as sporadically which is why SSDs have better performance on the USB port. Not only that, but USB3 is faster than the internal port and because of both points the speed of the SSD is limited only by the CPU.

I have a 1TB 860 Pro in my Xbox One X and a 512GB Micron (Crucial) internal in my consoles. Having the SSD external does make a difference in both consoles. Does the system UI load quicker and seem snappier with an SSD internal? Yes, but at the cost of a slower loading performance in games vs having it external. That's why I do external and internal SSD in both. Luckily, this won't be a problem anymore with the new consoles coming out this holiday season as they both have NVMe 1TB drives internal.

One additional point, the performance increase isn't as drastic as you'd see on a PC. It's a subtle difference, like seeing myself load into a map faster than anybody else in BF1 or CoD but doesn't feel as fast like on a PC.

I thought ps4 pro was sata 3 and faster processor and bus speed and few other things?
at least that's what the articles said.

I know nothing about consoles btw. bought my kid a ps4 and it seems slow compared to my pc lol.
except running 4k games like destiny 4 was actually impressive for me...

there was an article saying they tested with Samsung 860 pro and was something like 23% increase overall with up to 60% in some cases but that drive seems like overkill
I tried to find some confirmed specs but few articles mention different specs for PRO so I wanted to ask the pc people here to see if anyone has legit specs for ps4 pro :)

im also planning to upgrade thermal paste seems like a populr thing to do as well.

my kid likes it.
and also loves unreal tournament on pc which is cool haha
personally I think consoles are lame because they restrict you to controller and frown upon using the full potential of mouse and a keyboard in many games

I thought ps4 pro was sata 3 and faster processor and bus speed and few other things?
The Pro is essentially nothing more than a slight CPU OC and a secondary GPU slapped into the chip. Outside of the 3rd USB port on the back and fatter case it's almost the same. The Xbox One X was more of a bump in speed and it's smaller than the original Xbox One.

I know nothing about consoles btw. bought my kid a ps4 and it seems slow compared to my pc lol.
except running 4k games like destiny 4 was actually impressive for me...
The original PS4 came out 7 years ago with tech based on lower than midrange specs from 2012. The Pro runs some games decent at 4k, but others it just chugs.

there was an article saying they tested with Samsung 860 pro and was something like 23% increase overall with up to 60% in some cases but that drive seems like overkill
I tried to find some confirmed specs but few articles mention different specs for PRO so I wanted to ask the pc people here to see if anyone has legit specs for ps4 pro
Percentages seem high but the reality is seconds in difference. Here are the differences in specs:
PS4 - CPU: 1.6GHz 8-core AMD Jaguar; 1.84 TFLOP AMD Radeon (18CU, 800MHz); 8GB GDDR5 RAM. 1.84 TFLOPS
PS4 Pro - CPU: 2.1GHz 8-core AMD Jaguar; GPU: 4.2 TFLOP AMD Radeon (36CU, 911MHz); 8GB GDDR5 + 1GB RAM. 4.2TFLOPS
Vs the Xbox One X
CPU: Eight-core 2.3GHz custom AMD.
GPU: Six teraflops 1172 MHz.
RAM: 12GB GDDR5.

im also planning to upgrade thermal paste seems like a populr thing to do as well.
Not just paste, you need to replace the thermal pads too. I personally cut a hole in mine over the fan and slapped a 120mm high speed fan to it then sealed the intakes so all the air goes out the back. I only did this because the first gen Pros generall had PSU failure due to overheating of the caps. Pretty bad design but mine seems to be ok. It definitely smoothed out frame rates in 4k games like CoD.

personally I think consoles are lame because they restrict you to controller and frown upon using the full potential of mouse and a keyboard in many games
Some games have official mouse and keyboard support that locks you into cross platform play like CoD MW. I personally use a Xim Apex for all FPS games.

weird lol
i put new thermal paste the silver MX-4 and it got louder
im sure i did everything correctly, ive been building pcs since like 1998

correction, its louder when game like warzone is loading but not loud when playing

i was also wondering if i could use the samsung PM863 1.92tb
looks like its a server drive optimized for reading.

everywhere i look pages recommend the samsung evo series like its the only drive out there. which is kinda getting old

Back
Top Bottom