Is it okay to own a digital copy of a game that was stolen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justasking

Beta member
I had many gaming systems stolen and I want to know if I owned the system, the game and it was all stolen,
if I am entitled to a digital copy in the form of a ROM
given that the digital rights act says that you are allowed one digital copy?

Yes or No would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, if I could somehow figure out what you want, could answer something. At this moment it is impossible to understand.
If you want to know if you may have a copy of a game that you don't seem to have, then you can get an answer from your local law firm.
But in reality, you can have anything just as long as the police don't know.

Yes.
So for example, I owned a Nintendo 64 and a SNES,
I owned Super Mario 64 and Super Mario World As Cartridges.
Both Systems Were Stolen From Me With Those Games.

I wish to download an N64 Emulator and a SNES emulator and
the ROMs for Super Mario 64 and Super Mario World (as an example)
and not break the law.

As a Christian, I do not wish to break the law and even if I was not caught, I wish to live in the confines of the digital act and the USA Federal and State Laws.

In which the state laws do not apply to international companies such as Nintendo,
so I wish to know if I can download those ROMs even though they were stolen.

In summation, can I download a ROM to a game that I owned but was stolen. Keep in mind, the game is gone I was in Chicago and they stole it as the police said but the raid that led to their arrest turned up many things but not my video games.

"Can I download a ROM to a game that I owned but was stolen, legally?"
"Yes" or "No"

whoever holds the almighty game disk holds the power to use it...
that's how the games were licensed back then...
if I give you my game cd I don't own the game anymore. so you will most likely burn in hell for downloading the roms.

but on a more serious note this is rather irrelevant thing to worry about.
I can guarantee you just going about your day you are doing one or two illegal things that you just don't know about
plus the laws of men are inferior to the laws of heavens if I was to put it in religious terms. so the man made laws are just guidelines :)

"whoever holds the almighty game disk holds the power to use it"
"so you will most likely burn in hell"
May God who for some reason you hate, who still loves you, bless you.
But at any rate by logic given by you, let me put in Gerkin because I have 15 years as a Lead Software Engineer who manipulates and develops against data daily about Social Security Numbers, Birthdays, and Names, because I can trusted as one with morality.

Given your game disk is stolen
When you download the ROM
Then Your Actions Are Illegal
And The Person Who Stole Your Cartridge Can Download ROMS

Besides the logic being completely, stupid, that is what you said.

I would check your logic: You are talking an actual Software Developer not someone who is in high school like you.
A person who has the ability to hack even this site if of course I had no morality.
But this is what happens when high school students have the ability to speak,
one of those reasons that Americans have the right to bear arms so when one of your classmates gets sick of your inability to play nice and he takes a gun to class, because of people like you, I expect many more mass shooting in high schools, college campuses, and
I have not seen it but Middle School will come soon, because you seem to think being disrespectful is okay. Actually, it is not, but you'll find that out if you ever have a job.

Sorry about your drunkard father: I bet hurts when he beats you.
https://www.uncommonforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=86962

Last edited:
"whoever holds the almighty game disk holds the power to use it"
"so you will most likely burn in hell"
May God who for some reason you hate, who still loves you, bless you.
But at any rate by logic given by you, let me put in Gerkin because I have 15 years as a Lead Software Engineer who manipulates and develops against data daily about Social Security Numbers, Birthdays, and Names, because I can trusted as one with morality.

Given your game disk is stolen
When you download the ROM
Then Your Actions Are Illegal
And The Person Who Stole Your Cartridge Can Download ROMS

Besides the logic being completely, stupid, that is what you said.

I would check your logic: You are talking an actual Software Developer not someone who is in high school like you.
A person who has the ability to hack even this site if of course I had no morality.
But this is what happens when high school students have the ability to speak,
one of those reasons that Americans have the right to bear arms so when one of your classmates gets sick of your inability to play nice and he takes a gun to class, because of people like you, I expect many more mass shooting in high schools, college campuses, and
I have not seen it but Middle School will come soon, because you seem to think being disrespectful is okay. Actually, it is not, but you'll find that out if you ever have a job.

Sorry about your drunkard father: I bet hurts when he beats you.
https://www.uncommonforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=86962

No need to attack anybody...

Also, fellow SE here - dealing with PII isn't all that "hip" and "cool" :p. I occasionally deal with PII, HIPAA, FTI, etc. data at my workplace.

Now, all that said, to be helpful/on topic, check this article out:
https://www.howtogeek.com/262758/is-downloading-retro-video-game-roms-ever-legal/

Basically: it's a grey area. You have to own the cartridges, to be in that "grey area" however tho - so...unless you went and re-purchased the physical copies (or still had your receipts from those years ago sh owing you purchased the games), you wouldn't necessarily be covered by "Fair Use". That said....there are no court proceedings to say one way or another if it actually is Fair Use/legal if you own the games already. So, it's whatever you would like to do from a moral standpoint, tbh.

Thank you.
Someone who actually answers a question.
Of course it is a grey area which is why I asked.
No one asks easy questions. I appreciate your answer as basically: It is not knowable.

See, all it took was someone saying no one knows and it cannot really be taken to court about but since it is a grey area just leave it.
So close the thread and finish this because obvious children should not be allowed to vote or speak in public at all.
American children need to beaten regularly: The rest of the world does it and the children are smarter. Spare the rod spoil the child.
Have ever seen an American child laugh or smile at someone crying?
I have: Beat black and white American children until they cry themselves to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom