Nintendo Switch

Heck no. It looks terrible.

My next game will be Mario unless they release a metroid before then

It doesn't okay for big groups however it is definitely not worth $50
should be $20 or free with the Switch.
I"ll wait until Mario comes out.

I've heard it has crap performance on Zelda. ~20fps in combat / graphically intense areas? Can anyone confirm?
Maybe in mobile/unplugged, but I didn't really experience anything terrible while docked. And honestly you want to play this game docked.

On that note, I do have my complaints I'll type up about Zelda in mini-review fashion.

First; I'll write my experience of the Switch docked.
So far I quite like it. For a tablet it's pretty damn quick, I like the fact that you have expandable storage for downloads, and that the game input is on top. The only game I have is Zelda, and it seems powerful enough to hold a nice experience with a game as massive as this. Do I feel the game could have more justice on a proper console? Of course, but does it really retract? Not really. I don't really enjoy the joycons as they don't fit well with my hands and the positioning of the thumbsticks makes handling it weird. I have the same issue playing the 3DS. I only had to use them to initially setup the Switch and immediately went to my Pro controller which is a lot more comfortable (highly recommended for Zelda docked). All USB Type C connectors make doing anything with the Switch a breeze from docking to plugging the Pro controller in. The dock does have 3 Type A ports for charge cables and an ethernet adapter. The Switch has Wireless AC and the brief stuff I've done on it I don't really feel like ethernet is really required. So far my only complaint is the dock doesn't cover the whole unit for protection which I think is an oversight. I mean how hard is it to extend that plastic half an inch outward?

Warning, may contain spoilers you don't want to read about Zelda below!

As I was explaining to Carnage and Drogos in a group chat on FB, as a game it's fantastic. As a Zelda game, it's not. I personally feel like this game was a completely different project that got slapped with the Zelda treatment to sell consoles since it's the only launch title that's "AAA". Why do you ask? Because I got the same impression playing this game as I did TES Online. "This isn't Elder Scrolls, this is WoW with an Elder Scrolls skin". When you hop in the game you're so distracted by everything else and all the things you can do to not notice at first. Grass catching fire, experimenting with recipes, lightning storms, concentrating on keeping decent weapons, exploring the HUGE world, or catching a horse. Once you get past that you start to realize exactly how much of a grind the game is, and how Dark Souls it feels. Weapons break essentially way too easily for "what they are". By that I mean, a Hylian bow shouldn't break after say 40 arrows fired. It's ****ing metal. Crap bow from the beginning? Sure. Just like swords, axes, hammers, I feel they break way too easily in an effort to keep you moving around. If something breaks you gotta go to another area with good weapon drops and get something else. Oh, in a boss battle and run out of bows which is essential to beating it? Yup, better go waste more hours looking to fill your inventory with better bows. On that note, with the way enemies can essentially one hit kill you in most areas you spend most of your time breaking weapons to get weapons in an endless cycle of redundancy that is the game. There are a couple unbreakables in the game, but you have to grind a ****ton to get them. Master Sword requires 13 hearts to get which is 40 damn shrines (and getting it is completely optional). That's also if you don't update any stamina. As a Zelda game you think, vibrant excellent world to play in, nice puzzle dungeons, side quests with good rewards (hearts anybody?), and a mission to collect items as a progression of completing dungeons that lead to fighting Ganon. In this case, you can literally get your paraglider and go straight to Ganon if you're dumb enough. There are 2 objectives to the game and one is completely optional. The first objective, free the divine beasts of which you can tackle as you please, and the second filling out your memories (which is optional). The rest is Dark Souls like gaming and a grind fest to retain competitive to the enemies around you. By grindfest I don't even mean in the essence of leveling up, I mean picking up food and cooking it to survive getting to and from areas you want to go. On that note, I feel the range on guardians is WAY too long. I was half way across a map section and one was still locking onto me. Idk how many times I have died from something that I would consider pretty bull****. Also due to lack of any kind of tutorial or "informational presence" I played about 12 hours without even knowing you can dodge and parry. Not necessarily a big deal, but some form of informational clues would be nice in the least. I also feel there's a pretty serious lack of actual music presence in the game. I've done tons of exploring in silence and I'm not sure why that is. There isn't like a music off setting, just music doesn't play much despite having a 4 hour long soundtrack. When you're attacked or get into a shrine there's some background music but I was expecting some sort of seriously epic overworld music that gets stuck in your head because it's so good. Haven't heard any such thing so far. Speaking of shrines, those are the only real puzzles of the game that I've found. I have completed the beast Ruta and the only hard part about that is beating the boss. THe last thing I'll touch on quickly is stamina. IMO I feel it completely breaks the game for me. No memorable Zelda in the history of Zelda has had a limit on how long you can climb, run, or otherwise do most things besides swing a blade. THe fact that most things are faster than you make this worse. The first Zelda I feel I can literally go anywhere or do anything and I have to contend with an artificial limitation to how far I can climb or paraglide. Pretty stupid.

All in all, the game is a good game, and it's very enjoyable when you take your Zelda cap off. It definitely does not play like any Zelda game. Ever. Just don't expect to easily beat it in a weekend either. If you look at it from the perspective that it isn't a Zelda game and don't go in expecting your usual Zelda traits you'll be ok. If you're expecting to have a nice old fashioned Zelda experience you're going to be massively disappointed.

See, for me, I'd be playing it 99% of the time undocked. I'd basically use it as a mobile gaming system rather than a console :tongue: Still considering it though. I'd love to see a Pokemon game for it.

See, for me, I'd be playing it 99% of the time undocked. I'd basically use it as a mobile gaming system rather than a console :tongue: Still considering it though. I'd love to see a Pokemon game for it.
The problem with this is while playing Zelda you get about 2 hours mobile time and that's it.

Started playing zelda last night with the switch tablet in my hands. The text was so small I could barely read it. Plus there is no way to make it bigger. Yes I'm old but the size of the font is ridiculous.

I hear you but with all the reports, I'm not putting it in the dock until my screen protector is installed.
Don't shove it in there like you know most people are doing carelessly. I remove and dock mine twice a day without issue and mine is slightly bent like some of the reported ones.

Back
Top Bottom