Nintendo 3DS Costs $103 to Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Never mind the headaches and reported Black Screen of Death syndrome affecting some 3DS consoles, for some, the real gripe against Nintendo's latest handheld game player is the price. Without any extras, the 3DS runs $250, or $50 shy of a slim Xbox 360 console with a 250GB hard drive. Decide for yourself whether this comes as any consolation or more salt in the wound, but a recent breakdown of parts pegs the bill of materials (BOM) and manufacturing costs of the 3DS at $103 and a quarter.

According to iSuppli, the 3DS carries a BOM of $100.71, which is a 33 percent increase over the DSi. Not surprisingly, the displays account for a third of the cost ($33.80), followed by mechanical/electromechanical parts ($20.81), processor ($10.02), memory ($8.36), and on down the list (view the itemized breakdown here.) Manufacturing adds another $2.54.

One interesting thing to note is that the battery, at $3.50, is more than twice as expensive as that of the DSi and accounts for 3.5 percent of the BOM.

"Because the 3DS has bigger, more sophisticated displays and a higher performance apps processor than the DSi -- as well as new added features such as a gyroscope and accelerometer -- it makes sense the battery would have higher capacity," said Andrew Rassweiler, senior director, teardown services for IHS.

Rassweiler also said that Nintendo appears to have taken a page from Apple in designing the battery and multi-faceted power management scheme.

Source

needless to say that's one system I'll pass on. Isn't it true you can't play for more than an hour because of the whole 3d vision messing up your vision?

I don't understand why they're charging so much then. Normally when a new handheld or console releases, they try to make between 0 and 25 percent profit. Games are where they make almost all of their money. Always has been that way. Make the hardware as cheap as possible so that more systems equals more game sales. Sony was even losing money per console the first 3 months of the PS3 release.

I think setting a price like this is only going to drive the casual game market they developed away. No 40 year old mother is going to want to spend $250 when she still has her $120 DS Lite and Brain Age.

Sony was even losing money per console the first 3 months of the PS3 release.

I think it was longer than that. And yeah, I can see the price on this guy dropping rapidly. It'll be $200 by the holiday season. Watch.

Truthfully yes the price is a little steep at launch but look at the original DS launch at US$149.99, adjust for inflation etc, and it was steep for the time as well. As for the black screen, I've only experienced one so far in three days of heavy play, obviously I havent had one headache or any eyestrain and I've played it on average for two hours at a time with the extreme being a four hour straight session or two. The only problems I've experienced thus far in all truth is an issue with updating the system software (which a quick google search fixed) and a lack of core games. Thats not to say that the ones available arent nice but I get the feeling that the system could offer so much more. I am not, nor have I ever been a Nintendo fanboi (I'm all for Sony actually) but with the pack in defacto games and features present I thought I'd relay personal experience to you all so you wouldnt have to go by internet stigma alone. Personally I like it alot even though I didnt enjoy the demo unit in Walmart and BestBuy due to the gimmicky feel of it, but as for right now I'm having a blast interacting with other owners....

its nuts when you look at the graphics of even the 3d version of the ds... get real get a psp and avoid that overpriced stuff.. haha. theo nly benefit of them are the cameras included haha...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom