Some questions regarding traces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amnesia

Beta member
Okay, so some friends of mine recently got into some trouble with the police because of piracy.
We were talking about whether or not it could actually be proved, and what could be done to erase the traces.

Let's say they replace the hard drive in the computer, and turn off encryption on the router so that anyone could've accessed the network. Would that be enough? My thought was that if there's no evidence that the file was ever on her computer, and that anyone could have used their wireless to download from, there's no way to prove that she ever did it.... right?

Is there any way to prove if the router had encryption enabled at the time the file was downloaded? does it keep a log or history or anything?

Also, i said i was like 95% sure that the only traces of the actual file would be on the hard drive. Am i right? Anything else that they should be sure to wipe? Possibly replace network card? i have no idea what they would be looking for if they show up with a warrant for her computer.

I'm sorry for the bad English.

I really hope you can help me out here.
Thanks in advance, Amnesia

If your friend was doing something illegal, this might not be the right place to ask for help. Your putting yourself at risk for arrest if your conspiring to help your friend hide any evidence.
As a U.S. citizen, I do believe we have a right to make a back up of any media we purchase, whether it's a video, music or written, but doing that isn't going to bring the law knocking at my door

Last edited:
By the way if you have a open wifi and even though it wasn't you that downloaded something illegal, your still responsible because you chose not secure your wifi. I don't know how public wifis handle this.

By the way if you have a open wifi and even though it wasn't you that downloaded something illegal, your still responsible because you chose not secure your wifi. I don't know how public wifis handle this.

Wrong, it is 100% optional to secure your router (wifi), and if someone uses it for illegal things that is not your fault unless you were directly helping the person (say being involved in the tor project).

As for tracing, there are dozens of factors, I will not give you ways to cover your tracks however bare in mind covering traces depends on what type of traffic was sent/recieved, programs used, file types, visited sites, etc..

So unless you know pinpoint knowledge on everything that was done, you will 100% miss something that the cyber police will find. :cool:

P.s mind telling us what it is your trying to cover up?? :p

Last edited:
I'm gonna lock this thread before it gets messy...

In the future, tell your friend to not pirate or find a better way to not get caught.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom