Safer browsing and email?

MrLiberty76

Beta member
Hi,

I was reading something on a different forum and wanted to get someone who would knows opinion on the below post. Thanks in advance.

For the last few weeks I've seen so many threads about you guys with hacked or infected computers. Or one of you with you webcam snapping shots of you etc. And so many hating win 8 (me included) yet win xp is going the way of the DoDo.

I have a solution. Elegant and EXTREMELY easy.

#1). Purchase the the micro usb. 4-16 gig is PLENTY so if you find a dual pack go for it.

#2). Download linux live usb. Just turn that into a single word and put a DOTcom on the end of it.

#3). Download your favorite linux version:
Linux Tails for you UBER security conscience folks
Linux Mint 15 KDE (my personal favorite)
Or any version you prefer. This is why we buy the multi pack usb thumb drives

#4). Run Linux Live USB and install your favorite distro onto the usb.

#5). Reboot PC. While rebooting hit your boot selection key (F-12 for me).

#6). Choose USB for boot. Viola. You are now running linux on your computer with ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGES to your system.

#7). Run the linux live boot ANY TIME you are connecting to the internet for surfing emailing etc...

#8). If you need anything off your windows installation or want to play your windows only games...just boot normally into your windows without hitting your boot selection key on boot.

Now of course I highly reccommend a clean install of windows to start with. I know it's like ripping off a bandaid. And I realize most of you are not going to do this. That is ok. Because during live boot...your harddrives will not even be "mounted" unless you mount them. So no troubles.

With the micro usb...you can just leave in the usb slot. Its what I do on one of my laptops. Even when traveling. Its nearly flush and wont break off.

Also...dont forget! Linux has an entire office suite that is perfectly compatible with all office docs. So you wont need windows for that.

Your emailing will be safe and secure and VIRUS IMMUNE!

Live Boot! Woot! It's where it is at. Give it a try. You'll be pleasantly stunned

your prolly better off installing sun virtual box on windows and booting to the linux iso. For email only, this is fine. I suspect you'll run into some usability issues. For instance, how would you transfer legit attachments to your machine. Also, what if linked websites are not compatible with linux?

I think people are better off running as a standard user with out admins rights and have adaquate antivirus protection. Currently, i am using BitDefender Free Antivirus. I also recommend Webroot Internet Security to people who want to pay for AV.

If you want to use Linux you could also set it up as a dual boot, so no need to buy a USB stick.

But I agree either virtual desktops, or virtual apps are easier.

I have one laptop on dual boot, and another one runs virtual desktops, thinapps, and citrix based apps and desktops

But to be secure is more about common sense, and awareness of the common ways to become infected.
Sure people will still get viruses from time to time, but teaching people how to keep their files safe, and how to reinstall their os is also a good thing.

I have have both dual boot and virtual machines on my computer. In my opinion the only thing that will really work, is for people to choose one or the other. people don't like to switch back and forth system. And in my opinion- windows is much easier to use than Linux systems for the average consumer.

The safest possible way to keep your email its to have it outsourced through a email outsourcing service.

Back
Top Bottom