IT noob, looking for advice from experienced IT'ers

Vendetta459

Beta member
Hey guys,

I'm a sophomore IT major, planning to concentrate in Data Security. I'm starting to look at internships, but worried I won't be qualified, and embarrass myself. I've always been knowledgeable enough (or able to find the answer) for my basic personal computer needs, but that probably won't cut it professionally.

I had no intention of doing IT for a career until recently, when I decided I didn't want to continue working towards my business degree. I know IT demands a lot of DIY learning apart from school classes, so I feel a bit behind the curve.

If you've read this far, I would very much appreciate your advice. What kind of (general IT, or Data Security) things should I know before applying for an internship? And do you know of any good online resources that provide opportunities for practical learning exercises? I don't really know where I should be, or where to start.

Thanks!

Tough to say, what area is the internship and what would you be doing? I think that answer would dictate your next steps. If the internship is centered around security I would look at maybe getting your Sec+ to make yourself look more prepared.

I'm new to Data security also. To IT not so much. I've got 3 years of experience, mostly troubleshooting, repairing, resolving issues (basic stuff) I got my CompTIA A+ certificate and getting my Security + right now, with my CompTIA A+ I was at least able to get a job that pays 17 dollars an hour with only 2 years of unpaid (Volunter experience in school, like the school service desk) and I can now transfer this to a College credit as at tech school we do not take basic classes and we have to pretty much start all over when we transfer to a Bachelors. So I would reccomend getting some sort of certificate first, so you can at least work part time somewhere where you're learning and go to school, this will open doors for you from some big companies. I was fortunate enough to get an internship while in trade/tech school to a big company for 3 months. A long with the certificate and the hands on training at trade school to get me the job I got now. Working at this job I got more familiar with VPN which I hated and networking issues which I hated but now I'm enjoying it and understanding it to get my security +, people say Network + is strongly recommended for taking the secuirty + but it's really not as long as you know networking. Why waste all that money to take a certificate, when you can get Security + and just watch all professor messer videos on Network + online with that knowledge and translate it to Security + a certificate that a lot of people don't have.

Anyways, long story short I'm in the same position as you except I have basic/advanced hands on experience but I am new to Programming and Security which I am trying to get into, just know that you're in school right now for IT bust your *** because IT because to study for IT you have to enjoy it and be dedicated most people I work with aren't in school right now and some shouldn't be here but I would recommend putting in OT for studying and finding a job next semster in IT even if it's simple like just troubleshooting or taking calls.

Def. get your certs, even if you can't finish the schooling. I've talked to several major employers in my area and they tell me the same thing: First and foremost team compatibility. Can you get along with everyone? College degree? that's good- shows your teachable. Certs? that's the honeypot because it says you don't necessarily have to be taught which saves the employer time.

Back
Top Bottom