in laws

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i got an e-mail from my in laws just now. apparently their computer got a virus, which may or may not be gone (her son thinks he got it was what the e-mail said). anyway, she asked me if there was a pay for anti everything (meaning anti virus, spyware, malware, trojan horse, rootkit, etc., etc., etc. that would stop anything before it could do anything to their computer. my father in law uses the computer only to look for antique auto parts (he does not even have an e-mail account), and mother in law uses it to chat with other people with m.s. on a couple of forums, shopping, and of course e-mail. neither of them are particularly computer savvy, and depend on their combined kids for technical support. they really do need something that one of us can set up, and have it run scheduled scans, and do real time monitoring. years ago, i used Norton, it was supposed to be one of the best ones on the market at that point in time, and i was technologically in about the same place they are now. the difference is i have kids, and i NEEDED to get a better grip on this stuff, or go broke taking all their and our "technogadgets" to the shop once or twice a month. the kids and i have learned to take care of most of our "technogadgets" ourselves, with help of course from the kind folks on this forum. so "pay for" subscription anti virus is something i have not even thought of for some time. so i need some help (again) in order to give them a recommendation on what to buy. my gut feeling is either McAffee or Kapersky, but like i said, its been a long time since i have bought a service of this type.

Norton was always terrible and still is. Same goes with McAfee; Kaspersky is hit or miss. Use this as a decent basis: AV-Comparatives Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - AV-Comparatives

-Avira or Avast for AV (both free, and have paid versions) - if they insist on a paid one..I would suggest either ESET, BitDefender, or Avira.
-MBAM for anti-spy/general malware - has a paid version that does active monitoring / scheduled scans

And above all else... Common Sense. They need to be educated on not to click on random links or attachments in emails. If they weren't expecting an attachment or link from somebody, reply back or call them up (preferably) and ask to make sure it was indeed them who sent them something.

I would also install adblock so they have less things in front of their face to happen to click.

I would also install adblock so they have less things in front of their face to happen to click.

If he can get them to use chrome or FF instead of IE I'd agree.

Though I'd recommend uBlock Origin over Adblock, personally.

If I were going to pay for one I would go with Eset, but that's my personal preference.

I used Bitdefender for a 6 months on a trial and really liked it
Back to the free version of avast.
I installed Kaspersky for someone, it started blocking many random things that were clean so I got rid of it

Back
Top Bottom