Kaspersky Lab cybersecurity firm is hacked

It's not just them. In all honesty every company is vulnerable at some point, no matter how good you think the security to be. As far as antivirus companies, I loved Kaspersky for a while. Then, about three years ago or so, their software started breaking keyboards (registry issue) and getting fat and slow much like Norton with the exception that Kaspersky would actually find and stop infections more than Norton was doing.

Fast and light? Webroot. Less than 1MB for the install which is done in less than 5 seconds, even on older systems. It's like the Ronco cooker of antivirus softwares. Set it and forget it. Combine it with MBAM (only AV I've ever seen run side by side with literally any other AV and not cause an issue) and you're golden.

I use AV-Comparatives Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - AV-Comparatives as a baseline for judgement on which AV to recommend.

It's a good site, that is true. The problem is that not every AV company's software is tested. Webroot, for instance, hasn't been in that test for quite some time. At the end of the day, I've seen thousands of computers over the last 8 years with the more common AV programs installed on various operating systems and have been able to see (real world and not lab results) the effect they have on machines. Here are my impressions over the last 8 years:

Norton - Newer version is faster than previous years (especially install/uninstall/resource usage), but the definitions are clearly still missing a number of infections that others catch.

Kaspersky - 2015 program is slow and resource heavy. Still seems to be an issue randomly that the registry key gets botched and the keyboard on the machine stops working. Definitions are good and it effectively prevents most infections.

Webroot - Fastest install/uninstall/scan and lightest on resource usage. No definitions to download (cloud based) and can run side by side with other AV programs and cause zero conflicts. Definitions are good and it effectively prevents most infections. Will clean a system without specialized tools, unlike many others.

MBAM - Good install/uninstall speeds. Scan speeds better than most. Definitions are good and prevents most infections. Will clean a system without specialized tools, unlike many others.

ESET - Horrible resource usage. Appears to prevent most infections, but at the cost of system performance.

McAfee - Poor resource usage. Definitions are mediocre, but do protect fairly well. Performance hog is primary issue along with the length of scanning times.

AVG - Install/uninstall takes longer than needed. Scans are somewhat mediocre.

I could go on, but you get the idea... most of the rest are mediocre at best. There are some other really good ones out there, but from personal experience over time, MBAM and Webroot have the top right now. I would urge you to check them both out if you haven't.

I've been putting Avira or Avast on machines that I touch as of late (which hasn't been many since I've gotten out of the public-support job role except occasional on the side stuff). Avast has been ranking highly in AV-Comparative's tests quite consistently (so has Kaspersky and BitDefender).

I wouldn't consider MBAM an AV. It's only proactive if you buy the paid version, but most people will be running the free version which is only a reactive antimalware scanner. It's definitely still one of my tools for malware removal, though.

I wouldn't consider MBAM an AV. It's only proactive if you buy the paid version, but most people will be running the free version which is only a reactive antimalware scanner. It's definitely still one of my tools for malware removal, though.

It's a great AV if you get the paid version. Otherwise, you're right, it's a great removal tool but not useful otherwise.

I've had lots of issues with Avira and Avast! being resource hogs as well and generally getting corrupted (although they don't corrupt themselves nearly as often as Norton) and not coming off the system nicely.

Since Carnage showed me that site, i too use avira and avast on my machines, until new tests suggest better AVs..

Can I point out that even "hacking team" got hacked recently aswell... :cool:

Back
Top Bottom