Ad Aware Web Companion

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
does anyone know about this software? if it is good, bad, or terrible? i do not remember purposely downloading it. maybe it came with some other software down load???? i found out i had it just now, when a pop up screen popped up, saying it needed to be updated. so i need to know if i should update it, or remove it from my system.

I haven't used it personally, but it's made by LavaSoft. They use to have a decent anti-spam software, but I haven't used them in years. I would urge you to watch how the software uses memory to decide whether it's good for your system or not. I would imagine it won't be bad, but a lot of software titles don't play nicely with web browsers.

Wow haven't used Ad-Aware in years.

Not sure if it'd really be necessary to have...not sure how good LavaSoft is these days.

Hi! I may be wrong about this, but believe it acts a lot like MBAM and runs along side of your Anti-Virus. Like MBAM it works together with your Anti-Virus.
That's my understanding! This is a quote I copied from their site! I do not know if it's any good or even necessary. I'm thinking sense MBAM is now a yearly subscription, Ad-Aware is giving them a little competition. That's just my thoughts!
Gary!
Combining our legendary anti-spyware with a powerful antivirus, Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ enhances them with real-time protection, download protection and continuously updated filters against malicious URLs, providing top-of-the-line anti-malware protection for the casual computer user.

Not sure who Lavasoft is today, but they are not who they used to be.
The company was acquired in January 2011 by the Solaria Fund, a private equity fund.[3] It was soon discovered that the fund was actually a cover-up for the entrepreneurs (Daniel Assouline and Michael Dadoun) behind UpClick and Interactive Brands.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavasoft

I would dump the program

Not sure who Lavasoft is today, but they are not who they used to be.

I would dump the program

Mmmm... good catch. Quite a shame. They used to have a good program, but just kind of faded away. I hadn't thought about them in years.

Yup... I used Ad Aware way back when Gator and that purple monkey was the scourge of the interwebs.
I purchased it and they (Lavasoft people) gave me a receipt saying thanks for supporting us and they told me then that I had a "lifetime" license. That only lasted for a couple years and they got greedy, and decided "lifetime licenses" were only good until the next revision of their software. I dumped Ad Aware and a lot of others did too. After that the program just got lame and it no longer worked for the new malicious stuff. Then their forum shut down and they faded away
Way back then, Ad Aware was equal to what Malwarebytes is today, they just didn't have the know how to change with the times

Last edited:
does anyone know about this software? if it is good, bad, or terrible? i do not remember purposely downloading it. maybe it came with some other software down load???? i found out i had it just now, when a pop up screen popped up, saying it needed to be updated. so i need to know if i should update it, or remove it from my system.

I've not used this but I just don't really trust LavaSoft these days. I still think its a good product but I would choose others over it.

thanks everyone. i am usually a skeptic when i find a program on my computer, that i did not add myself on purpose. so i have removed it. and i am experiencing no ills because of it.

thanks everyone. i am usually a skeptic when i find a program on my computer, that i did not add myself on purpose. so i have removed it. and i am experiencing no ills because of it.

You can't go wrong removing it. It's definitely not required, and in this case, it's probably not a good idea to keep it based on Joe C's response above.

Back
Top Bottom