Fallout 3 Crash to desktop - solution here

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your still having prob's try this easy fix:

Click your Start menu & in "Run" type "dxdiag", when the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window appears click the "Display" tab at the top.

In the DirectX Features click "AGP Texture Acceleration" to "DISABLED"

I'm pretty sure i've tried everything suggested (add fallout3.exe as a an exception for ffdshow, uninstall and reinstall .net 3.0, updated the video card drivers, disabled AGP Texture Acceleration, updating directx), except resetting the controls to default, to fix the issue and its still crashing (although i got a whole 10 minutes out it after disabling AGP Texture Acceleration).

ram: 2 gb
cpu: intel core 2 duo 2.7 ghz
gpu: geforce 8400 gs

Just built my new computer:

Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
intel i7 920 2.66 GHz CPU
EVGA GeForce X260 superclocked GPU
Corsair 6GB 1600MHz Dominator Ram
Vista 64

On my old computer it worked fine, though slow as all get out since I was only running like a Geforce 7600 card. When I built new, however, I started with a fresh OS, on a fresh hard drive, didn't have any codec packs installed. I started crashing all over the place in Fallout 3. However, updating to the 3.5 .net Framework and updating to the new beta 182 nVidia drivers has completely solved my crashing problems. It looks like the 182 drivers were geared more for Fallout 3 and a couple others, while the 181 drivers were geared towards Mirror's Edge, among others.

To be safe I also have lowered the water transparency setting, I don't think this was causing me too much trouble, but it couldn't hurt. I would crash randomly regardless of if I was near water in the game, most of the time it was just before the game would've had to access a new sound or possibly graphic. Thanks to everyone that submitted help here!

Just built my new computer:
However, updating to the 3.5 .net Framework and updating to the new beta 182 nVidia drivers has completely solved my crashing problems.

Yes as stated previously the fallout 3 game installs a beta version of .net Framework, if you upgrade it to the latest version it has helped some people out

I updated my .net framework to 3.5 and my video card drivers to 182.06 and it runs fine until i try to approach the man in the corner of Moriarty's Saloon in megaton. any ideas?

Ok, I've tried everything here and on other forums but you guys are the most recent and most competent so far. The only thing I couldn't do was the AGP texture acceleration, I couldn't see where in DxDiag to turn it off.

When I click 'New Game', it loads for about a second on the loading screen then says Fallout3 has encounted a problem.. blah blah. I've uninstalled my Combined Community Codec Pack, patch, .NET 3.5, start without launcher, updated video drivers.. etc.

Running on a Dell Studio 17, 2.0 Ghz CPU, 4gb Ram, and Intel Series 4 graphics.. which might be the problem but I don't see why, it has plenty of memory. I also haven't contacted Bethesda support directly yet..

EDIT: Now that I looked more thoroughly at the support page, I doubt my onboard is supported. But I can run things like Sins of a Solar Empire and EQII with no problems at all.

Some one over at NMA is supposed to be working on various fixes it's either Killap or WildQWERTY I am not sure.

Do they have an idea on when they'll be finished? I really wanna play..

Also, I can never tell if the patch actually worked. When I run it, it tells me it has to install the Live Game or whatever, then it just starts the game..

Depends who is working on them, you see NMA is the largest Fallout fan forum around and many people work on the patches they might have a beta out or a stable release I have no idea as my Fallout 3 install has never had a crash so I haven't bothered looking.

Your best solution is to go over there an look.

How exactly do I use Game for Windows to download the patch? From inside Fallout it keeps telling me my network is messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom