Fallout 3 Crash to desktop - solution here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I decided to upgrade my graphics card to a nice new expensive , for me anyway Geforce 9600 GT.

rest of my comps specs below
AMD Athalon x2 64 4000+
3g Ram
newish mother board specs i forget

I got this drivers not responding error and the game would freeze blink freeze then stop responding . Searched for hours read a ton of threads people calling the game makers names because theyre game didn't work.

Now if you have 3 g ram and a duel core or quad core comp and a nice graphics card why are you over clocking your computer?

To get my game to work I realized I don't know enough about computers to touch the bios and returned them to defaults. And there it was the solution.

Worked for me.

Alright, so i've tried everything that everybody suggested in here. From uninstalling FFDshow, to adding fallout3.exe to the exceptions list, installing a non-beta of the .net framework. Updated video drivers, lowered graphics settings. All that.
None of it worked.

However, I did find something that did. I reset my controls to the defaults. What, the ****? Not sure why that would do the trick, but it did. So spread the word.

Mine seems to get progressively slower with the VATS attack loading and then eventually stop and the computer still thinks its running until I quit the process. At first I thought it was to do with graphics temps but they are all fine. It didn't use to do it only after I reinstalled vista it isn't that much of annoyance as it starts to slow down after 1 and a half hours of play so reminds me to stop for a while.

Mine also seems to be getting worse. I don't crash to desktop, but it will just freeze up until I too end the process. It isn't just during VATS battles though, it's any time...pretty random actually.

Hello All,

i joined this forum in hopes to help with the ridiculous Fallout 3 crashes.

all the ffdshow stuff did nothing at all but like a previous poster said returning all key mapping controls to default stopped the crashes. go figure.

hope this helps someone...

I wanted to jump in here and say that resetting my key mapping controls to the default finally fixed my crashing problem (only after many other attempted fixes). Thanks so much to the person who suggested this!

I've tried working all the ffdshow fixes listed and none of them did the trick, it's making me think that I may have the CCCP codec pack installed, is there anything I can do to remove or restrain that from causing the game to crash?

It crashes shortly after the Fallout3.exe has been running; the screen goes black then runs through the auto configure then the hourglass loading mouse comes up and the black screen disappears to a quarter of the screen and windows runs the "sorry for the inconvenience" prompt.

I've been having problems with Fallout 3 CTDs as well, and wanted to add my experience to the knowledge base here...

I was having major problems in the Mall area of the game - random crashes both on the Mall and in buildings leading to the Mall, and guaranteed crashes when trying to use VATS. I was using older nVidia drivers - 178.xx - so I upgraded to the most recent ones. Still had problems.

Tried ffdshow fixes, upgraded the game itself, tried everything else mentioned on this forum...nothing.

So I rolled back to nVidia 180.48 drivers, and haven't had a problem since.

So, for some reason, both older and newer drivers were crashing, but that 180.48 has been stable.

My rig:

2.8Ghz Core Two Duo
GeForce 8800 GTS 512
4GB Patriot RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom