Fallout 3 Crash to desktop - solution here

Status
Not open for further replies.

[t..o..m]

I can't brain today
I was having bad CTD in fallout 3. Found this, tried it, haven't had a single crash since. Thought it might help some people out.

Fallout 3 does seem to have a conflict with FFDShow codecs. You have to either uninstall them from your system or add fallout3.exe to FFDShow audio and video decoders exceptions list. Although you may not know it, FFDShow codecs may be present on your system if you have installed codec packs such as CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack).

How to add Fallout 3 to FFDShow decoder exceptions list

1. Launch the ffdshow video decoder configuration window. You may access this through the start menu. If you have installed any codec packs, check the start menu entries of those. If you can�t find it on the start menu, right click the ffdshow video decoder (red) icon that appears on the taskbar when a supported video file is playing, and select �ffdshow video decoder� option from the menu. ffdshow_icon

2. Tick the �Dont use ffdshow in� checkbox if not already checked

3. Press the edit button that is next to the text field. A new dialog box will pop up. Press the Add button. The �Add incompatible executable file� dialog box will be displayed. Browse to the Fallout 3 installation directory and locate fallout3.exe file. Select it and press open. Close all dialog boxes currently open by pressing ok.
(OR you can simply type fallout3.exe at the end of the text field next to �Dont use ffdshow in� checkbox)

4. Repeat steps 2-3 in ffdshow audio decoder configuration (the blue icon in taskbar) window as well. It is important that you add fallout3.exe to both ffdshow audio and video decoder�s expections list.

Funnily enough when i checked the exception list in ffdshow both my morrowwind and oblivion games were the only two in there? Maybe these games also have problems with ffdshow :rolleyes:

Yeah, uh, exactly WHERE is this "ffdshow video decoder configuration window"???

Please to help. I am crashing at what I believe is a cutscene..every time...

By the way, I AM using a Vista 32 system. Updated the vidcard drivers (solved ALL priors instances of CTD) This is the ONLY place I get CTD!

I am in the midst of completing quesst obj "escape vault 87"
I walk into a room. Some kind of grenade drops from the ceiling. CTD....

I am pretty positive that this is where I am supposed to be taken by the Enclave or something of that sort. I believe it involves a cutscene. Because of this belief, I think that the ffdshow conflict may in fact be the problem.

BUT! Ho do I add fallout3.exe as an exception to the ffdshow decoder list? I don't know where to look!

Thanks in advance. Vista32 ftl.

By the way, I AM using a Vista 32 system. Updated the vidcard drivers (solved ALL priors instances of CTD) This is the ONLY place I get CTD!

I am in the midst of completing quesst obj "escape vault 87"
I walk into a room. Some kind of grenade drops from the ceiling. CTD....

I am pretty positive that this is where I am supposed to be taken by the Enclave or something of that sort. I believe it involves a cutscene. Because of this belief, I think that the ffdshow conflict may in fact be the problem.

BUT! Ho do I add fallout3.exe as an exception to the ffdshow decoder list? I don't know where to look!

Thanks in advance. Vista32 ftl.

Well if you have it installed you should be able to go 'start' then type ffdshow and then clicking on the ffdshow video decoder configuration link.

If you don't have it installed then download it, install it, and add it to the exception list to see if it fixes your problems

All,

I read elsewhere that the Fallout installer does a bunch of naughty things. One of which is to install a BETA version of the .NET Framework 3.0.

My experience was that I played Fallout 3 for a few hours on first install, and I had no issues, other than it crashed when I quit (which is fixed in a patch out now, but not for Australia version I believe). I then had the bright idea to update my graphics card drivers, as I hadn't done this is 6 months. This required a restart.

After this restart, I got a lot of bad mojo. Crashes to desktop after intermittent time, but not long, and sometimes whole colour pallet shifts so that the image looked freaky. I tried changing the video settings to lower things - like no AA etc, to no avail. I did have the issue with the Codecs and unistalled those (Came with free video player MPCStar or something), and I think that helped, but I still wasn't going like I did before the first restart.

What seems to have fixed me up is actually unistalling and then reinstalling .NET Framework 3.0 (I then did a service pack too I think). You can download this from Microsoft. This replaces the Beta version installed by the Fallout installer.

I mention this, because it may save someone from going bald from frustration. It's an excellent game, and it's very dissapointing to not be able to play it. Reminds me A LOT of my early experience with Bioshock. Sigh.

For your interest, here is the complete list of sins the Fallout installer seems to acomplish. I love the bit "I purchased 320 copies..." - how much did that cost?! Bet the EBGames saleboy did a double take on that. --

Regards,
Saul

I have found the primary issues causing the CTD and other crashes. I've sent 3 e-mails to Bethesda and no responses. My Computer Science Engineering department took a shot it. I purchased 320 copies and gave them the weekend to figure it out. Here are some of the results;

1.) Fallout 3 Installer installs an older version on C++ Visual 2005 that appears to affect the way the vidcard driver communicates with the game.

2.) Fallout 3 Installer installs a Beta release of DOTNETFX3.0 (.NET Framework 3.0). For users of .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 or even SP2 (Service Pack of the Framework not the OS), upon restarting their system (when changes take place), their game will be quite unstable.
Users of .NET 3.5 or Vista should have even more random crashes.

3.) Fallout 3 Installer installs a non Plug'n Play DRM device manager (not driver but a manager) that doesn't like any 3rd party codecs (ie K-Lite, WinAMP, etc) and will usually see a CTD when a Hardware codec comes online. This usually occurs when interactive audio (client controlled speech) initializes (ie baby walking to daddy).

4. Fallout 3 Installer installs SecuROM Root kit as well as 8 hidden non Plug'n play virtual drivers. Owners with more than one Optical drive or a sata drive may encounter random drive access issues. Also, Imaging software or any software that may use its own ASPI drive (ie NERO, Roxio, Daemon, ISO, etc.) will have one of the 8 virtual drivers causing the system to do a random CTD. Reason why clients using a cracked EXE don't experience the same volume of CTD as those who bought the game. However, the SecuROM root kits are still on the system and active. Once the SecuROM is also purged from the system, 60% of the crashes disappear. Unfortunately, they must remain on the system in order to play the game as they are part of the EULA.

5.) Fallout 3 also has its own built in MP3 codec coupled to its DRM to protect MP3's on the DVD (in game). Unfortunately, the codec was never tested fully with hardware decoders like those of an X-FI. This can be varied by the lack of a hardware audio switch in the game options.

6.) Fallout 3 has 14 memory leaks that we found. Most are small, but there are a few that are quite large. Some areas of the map, the memory counter just spins at over 100 MB/sec. Most memory leaks are around 5 to 10 MB/sec.

7.) Fallout 3 video graphics buffer needs to be adjustable in the options and an automatic cache purger installed for cards over 512 MBs as well as linked buffers from SLI and crossfire cards. I've seen areas where names on the screen start to disappear and all you see are “Input Text Here” instead of V.A.T.S. or range or etc. The cache doesn't get dumped on some maps. Most games dump their cache when a map reload occurs. This can be noticed when fast reloads occurs from map changes. Most users will just see their graphics card run out of memory (CTD and stuttering).

8.) Most games were fault free with a basic XP Pro SP2 reload, and only Critical updates and latest stock drivers. Installed the game and played it error free for nearly 4 days. Upon a system restart, lots of errors showed up. This means that Fallout 3 significantly changes the operating system. Far beyond reasonable accounts as all you can do with the system in not to play MP3's, watch movies, make a CD or DVD, or play other games.

Hopefully, Bethesda will address the issues more than 100,000 people are having.

wow saulysw nice find.

Why the **** did bethesda make fallout 3 install a BETA version of .net framework let alone ANY BETA software at all???!!

So stupid

* SPOILERS *

I'm having the same CTD problems; however, I've run into a CTD issue that so far has triggered every time I have tried to enter the reactor chamber to vault 87 in either Murder Pass or The Great Chamber of Little Lamplight. It seems that something is affecting the actual room I'm trying to enter rather than just a random CTD. I've already taken into account the FFDshow settings [t..o..m] suggested, and it didn't work. I also tried repairing the .NET framework installation, and that didn't work either. I've patched my game as well, and nothing so far seems to have worked. I'm kind of scared that FO3 has done irreparable damage to my system from what saulysw found. I'm starting to wonder whether installing this game in the first place was a good idea, because it has been nothing but problems since I first booted it up.

If anyone has had this problem I described or knows something that might help, I'd really appreciate it. Here are my PC specs:

MEMORY: 2GB
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 880 GTS (Driver version 180.43)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz, 2193 Mhz

Any other specs needed, let me know.

Thanks heaps for the ffdshow solution Tom, I wasn't expecting it to be that easy! Looks like there are a whole number of possibilities for the crashes but the ffdshow conflict is the only problem I've had on my system.

Q6600 2.8ghz
8800GT 666mhz
4gb ram
Vista X64

well --- i went to the saved games folder and deleted all but a few
of my saved games --- havent crashed since --- was to the point where would crash every 2 or 3 mins but all is well now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom