DUKE NUKE'EM FOREVER .... It's finally offical....

Duke Nuk'Em Forever, you finally glad they canned this vaporware?

• Yes. It was about time too.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.........................!!!!!!!!

• I am living in denial by telling myself that one day, Duke Nuk'Em will be some day released.

• Who is this Duke Nuk'Em you speak of.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
3D Relms have finally pulled the plug on Duke Nuke'Em Forever. It's no longer vaporware, it's offically cancelled.

Duke Nukem No More - Digits - WSJ
Duke Nukem No More

Games developer 3D Realms, which has been developing the same videogame for the past 12 years, has shuttered its doors before its completion.

The Garland, Texas, company had been working on the much-anticipated game Duke Nukem Forever, the latest installment of the Duke Nukem first-person-shooter game series, which promised to be groundbreaking in interactivity and game play. The last Duke Nukem game, Duke Nukem 3D, was released in 1996.

3D Realms didn't officially announce its closing, and its Web site appears to have been taken down. The news about 3D Realms' closing was earlier reported in gaming site Shacknews, citing a source that said there were “funding issues.”

A person who picked up the phone at 3D Realms said the staff was notified yesterday of the closure. This person, who declined to give his name, said he wasn't sure what his last day was, with no one in the office. Steve Blackburn, vice president of operations, didn't return phone calls seeking comment.

Take-Two Interactive Software, which owns the publishing rights to the Duke Nukem game, said it hadn't been notified by 3D Realms about the closing and declined to comment on the speculation.

“We can confirm that our relationship with 3D Realms for Duke Nukem Forever was a publishing arrangement, which didn't include ongoing funds for development of the title,” said Alan Lewis, a spokesman for Take-Two. He added that Take-Two would retain the rights to publish the game if development of it was revived in the future.

Meanwhile, one blogger created a site in memoriam of the game with a tombstone saying “RIP Duke Nukem Forever.” To illustrate how long the game had been in development, the site includes a long list of major events that happened between the time the game was announced in April 1997 and now. It also lists “Things that have taken less time than Duke Nukem Forever's development.”

Among them: The Beatles released all of its albums, toured the world several times and broke up.

LOL! ANd about time too.
I still remember the time back in 2003-ish when there was a some Duke Nuke'Em Forever billboards at a train station.

And looks like it's R.I.P for 3D Realms too. For those people where looking forward to PREY 2, that been moved over to Radar Group for development. Hopefully they can do a some thing quicker than 11 years to release a game.

wow it REALLY makes you wonder what the HECK they were doing for the last 12 years. Probably working on one 3d model every month...what kind of work ethic do they have? sheesh, they deserve to be closed down for taking that long.

I do have to question 3D Realm work ethic. I am looking at wiki right now, they they started off well back in the mid 80's with bringing out game left right and centre. However late 90's onwards, there seems to be a lot of projects that seem to be either cancelled or given over to other people to finish.

In the mean time, they have been waste time on smaller for mobiles.

Like Blizzard taking years to bring out WarCraft 3, Diablo 3 or StarCraft II is reasonable because they were focusing a lot of time and energy to world of warcraft. If some one complains to be about how SCII is taking forever, i would reply "Well, Blizzards been doing World Of WarCraft, and Diablo 3 is finally underway too"
As for 3D Realms.... well, they finally got Prey out. However consider that you could finish that game in about 4 hours or so, I really can not say that was really worth the wait. Duke would of been the same too.

Like Blizzard taking years to bring out WarCraft 3, Diablo 3 or StarCraft II is reasonable because they were focusing a lot of time and energy to world of warcraft. If some one complains to be about how SCII is taking forever, i would reply "Well, Blizzards been doing World Of WarCraft, and Diablo 3 is finally underway too"
As for 3D Realms.... well, they finally got Prey out. However consider that you could finish that game in about 4 hours or so, I really can not say that was really worth the wait. Duke would of been the same too.

but the production team for SC 2 is totally seperate from the WoW production team and it only consists of a 40 mere mortals in Irvine, California. Sure the team is quite small compared to average production teams go, but taking an entire year to only finish 2/3rds of the Terran campaign really begs the question about their working ethic. Also this lack of progress has forced them to release the game into 3 seperate packs which i think will still be harmful to the game because we won't be familar with the protoss and zerg when we jump into them in multiplayer.

Oh and not to mention the SC 2 engine was already dated to begin with back in 06, as more time passes, the engine is just going to get more dated. The DOW2 engine is no doubt superior in texture quality and physics.

Wow...12 freakin' years! omg...guys! I agree, they don't deserve to be in business anymore. There's no way you can start a game and expect it to hold up...even after say 4 years with the rate technology changes. TBH, I thought this game was already cancelled...haha.

Oh and not to mention the SC 2 engine was already dated to begin with back in 06, as more time passes, the engine is just going to get more dated. The DOW2 engine is no doubt superior in texture quality and physics.

Dow2 looks better, but it doesn't look that much better. At least they've had a few years to work on it, and it should be pretty well optimized, so most people can run the game, meaning a big community. I would still like it better though if the graphics were better.

That's too bad, Many would buy it just for the nostalgia :( I remember kicking my brothers @$$ way back in the P3 800mhz days with 32mb video ram LOL Now I'm starting to feel old.......

Dauntae

but the production team for SC 2 is totally seperate from the WoW production team and it only consists of a 40 mere mortals in Irvine, California. Sure the team is quite small compared to average production teams go, but taking an entire year to only finish 2/3rds of the Terran campaign really begs the question about their working ethic. Also this lack of progress has forced them to release the game into 3 seperate packs which i think will still be harmful to the game because we won't be familar with the protoss and zerg when we jump into them in multiplayer.

dont forget the star craft dev team developed star craft ghost then tossed it when it was ready to release. with the d3 dev team alot of the members left. they got taken onto work with wow, soem whent to arena.net the developers for guild wars( ncsoft is the publisher) and then some of them whent and did **** gate london.

it was never officially canceled! Omg, everyone on the internets is jumping to conclusions. 3D Realms has shut down but the game hasnt, it's basically on hold until Take-Two can decide what to do with the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom