Doom 3 Problem No One Can Solve

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinagreenelvis

Baseband Member
I've been talking to Activision about this problem for weeks now. Just recently I've taken video footage of the problem in order to get the info accurately across, but even now nobody has been able to figure out what's wrong with my system.

I've got a unique graphics problem. I call it "snagging." It's not low FPS, it's not a V Sync issue... it's just... snagging. That's the only way I can describe it. The video I have says it best.

http://www.chinagreenelvis.com/misc/doomplay.avi

See? When moving around (in the video it only shows strafing) all you see is SNAG MOVE SNAG MOVE SNAG MOVE SNAG MOVE SNAG

My simplified system specs:

Albatron PX865PE Pro (V 2.0) Mobo
i865 chipset
P4 Prescott 3.0GHz
2GB Gigaram PC3200 (Dual Channel)
eVGA Geforce 6800GT
Aspire 300W PSU

Solutions attempted: Clean OS installs, swapped PCI cards, detatched IDE devices, updated all drivers, updated all windows updates, system tweaks, hardware tweaks, game tweaks, resolution changes, image quality changes, disabling dual monitor support.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm pretty desperate at this point. Doom 3 looks ugly as hell on my beautiful machine.

Here is a better video. Watch as the player strafes from left to right - watch the walls, the scenery, it moves smoothly except for the regular intervals at which it jumps suddenly in the direction it's going.

As the player moves on one direction, the scenery moves to the opposite, except it's not fluid movement, it's JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP.

http://www.chinagreenelvis.com/misc/doomplay2.wmv

Turn up your smooth mouse settings maybe? I do see a little bit of jerking, but nothing too bad at all. Of course, Im used to playing this game under 40 fps.

It's nothing to do with the mouse, unfortunately. I could play the game with no mouse attatched and it would still do this. It does it whether the mouse smoothing is full blast or totally nil. Same with sensitivity.

On my machine, the game wants desperately to run at 60fps. And it should, because every other game does too. When you've just spend $500+ making sure you have the ultimate possible system for games like this only to find out that one of them has an attitude, it's a real pain in the ass. I'm absolutely determined to get this problem solved, because it doesn't do it on my roommate's machine.

Of course, he's got an AMD Athalon and an ATI video card. Not that what I have shouldn't work just as well.

Usually a steady 60. It drops to 50 briefly with all the extras enabled and only in large open areas with lots of lighting effects.

I don't really see much of a problem. Sometimes that jumpiness can be caused by resource hogging processes in the background, but I don't even see that much jumpiness. Your video looks normal to me.....show me an ingame video...not one of just you strafing, and Ill see if I can see anything.

if anything is worth a try...i'd say you try another PSU and see what happens

i doubt that's the problem..but it wouldn't hurt

diabloII said:
i'd say you try another PSU and see what happens

Same thing i was going to say ;) That's the only draw back i can see,Maybe the power is fluxuating up and down to much :confused: Don't they recomend atleast a 350 or 400 watt PS for the 6800 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom