why cant you copy console games

Status
Not open for further replies.
that stinks, if my dog gets my new game DVD, i can no longer play it, i have to pay another 50$ to get a new copy... jeez stinks

wow u must have been steamed, i would have killed the dog with that one game but with 4?

DVD's for video games are or at least were.... burnt backwards. So lets say if on a PC they normally spin clockwise, on the game system they spin counterclockwise. This is why you need a chip either installed into your computer so it can properly read and then burn the games or you must install one in your game system so that it will spin the disk the opposite way.

• original discs are stamped not burned, consoles can tell the difference and by default won't play burned games
  • errors can be stamped onto the disc at certain locations that won't effect how the game is played but will make it impossible to burn the disc correctly due to inbuilt error correction etc
  • in the case of the xbox discs were read backwards (not spinning in reverse), rather in the opposite direction i.e. inside to outside. though i can't remember which way :eek:. they also had "flags" that could not be replicated by normal means which would make any copies paper weights.
  • as a side effect of xbox discs having data in reverse they can't be read by anything but an xbox console

DVD's for video games are or at least were.... burnt backwards. So lets say if on a PC they normally spin clockwise, on the game system they spin counterclockwise. This is why you need a chip either installed into your computer so it can properly read and then burn the games or you must install one in your game system so that it will spin the disk the opposite way.

that's not true, if it were than the PSX/PS1 couldn't play CDs and the XBOX/PS2 wouldn't be able to play DVDs by default.

Look at it this way, Think of the ps1, When you put a ps1 game into it, it reads it and passes the protection scheme which then allows it to boot, You could then switch the disc with a backup copy, which would allow to backup disc to boot since it had already passed the protection step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom