Random Gaming News

I have said it before, and I'll say it again, I get why everyone was somewhat angry with the ending sequence, but I don't get why people FLIPPED THE F out about it. The game was still great and if you just ignore some of the ridiculousness in the ending dialogue, it is passable at least. They dropped the ball in several areas in ME3 unfortunately and the end was the icing on the cake.

It was so many factors boiling into one.

1.) I think in a way they may have set themselves up for some sort of backlash regardless due to the fact that they allowed each player's Commander Shepard to shape out the way that they saw fit. There were so many major choices that can be made throughout the series, so trying to wrap that up in an individualized way may have been too tall of an order. I'm not saying that it's impossible, all I'm saying is that it may have been to much to handle. And part of that is because of my next point...

2.) EA's intervention. The original Mass Effect took almost four years to develop. Wanna guess how long Mass Effect 3 was in development? 1 & 1/2 years. With EA's strict demands and deadlines, Mass Effect 3 was a rushed out, incomplete product, and everyone knew it.

3.) Lack of choices mattering. The entire time, BioWare was preaching that all of our choices mattered, that there were going to be 16 different possible endings, that we would see everything wrap up, etc. There are countless quotes, even on stating that the ending wasn't like any traditional ending where you can say you got ending A, B, or C. And what happened? We got the exact opposite of everything that was promised.

4.) A dedicated fanbase. Some people were calling Mass Effect the Star Wars of video games, due to its rich universe, detailed environments, well thought out lore, amazing characters, and a deeply immersing and personalized story. A lot of people invested over five years and hundreds of dollars into Mass Effect, only to be left holding their hands out.

5.) The ending. It's well documented and has been touched out many times - you get the gist.

6.) DLC. People found out that Javik (a character very important to the lore of Mass Effect by the way) was purposely stripped from the main game and sold as day one DLC. BioWare & EA deny this, but everything from his coding, to his model, to his dialogue, can all be found on the disc's files. Then, to make matters worse, after you finish the game and experience that ending (if you even want to call it that) you are greeted with a text message on the screen that says, "You win! Now go buy DLC!"

7.) BioWare & EA's PR. Alright, this may be a 50/50 in some cases as I'm sure many fans are to blame as well, but BW & EA set themselves up by not delivering on anything that they had promised. Then, instead of taking the high road, admitting that they made a mistake, asking the fans to forgive them and give them the time to fix everything, they fought tooth and nail, back and forth like whiny, entitled, little children. And they are still acting that way through comments and tweets to this day, well over a year removed from the release.

rhu (or anyone for that matter), if you want the short verson of the ending I'll explain it:

(highlight below to reveal the text - I made the text white just in case someone didn't want to read any spoilers)

For future you can use the spoiler tag. It is generally more easy than changing the font and takes up less space. Regardless you can do as you wish. :D

The catalyst is a ghostly hologram of a kid that died that haunted you the entire game, and is the one commanding the reapers. He says that the reapers are a solution to a never-ending problem. According to him, he uses the reapers to kill everyone every 50,000 so that they don't build synthetics that will kill them. Yes, you heard that right - instead of having the reapers target the synthetics and explain to people to stop building them to end this supposed "problem", he uses machines to kill people so that other machines don't kill them.

Then you make choice A, B, or C, they all play out the same, just in red, green, or blue, Joker flies away, crashes on a jungle world, steps out of the ship, looks toward the horizon, the game ends. Literally, I'm not fabricating it, I'm not cutting out details - that right there is a complete and accurate description of the shipped ending to the game.

The entire premise of Mass Effect 3 is trying to rally all of the races in the galaxy together to fight the reapers. It works great as a matter of fact; you meet old friends, recruit the top soldiers and scientists, and it's non-stop the whole way.

Example[/spoiler*]

Without the asterisk.

That is cool. I didn't know you could do that. You are right though, Edge is the man.

Edge, sorry I was in a meeting. I agree with you 100%. I guess it just didn't bother me as much as it did everyone else. In my opnion ME3 paled in comparison to ME2 and even ME1 for that matter. The entire game was a cop out. They took the easy way out at every turn and didn't deliver what was expected or promised. I still thoroughly enjoyed it, but I p***es me off too. I think for me it was the major decisions you make were barely addressed and were of little consequence. The biggest for me being the Rachni queen.

That is cool. I didn't know you could do that. You are right though, Edge is the man.

Edge, sorry I was in a meeting. I agree with you 100%. I guess it just didn't bother me as much as it did everyone else. In my opnion ME3 paled in comparison to ME2 and even ME1 for that matter. The entire game was a cop out. They took the easy way out at every turn and didn't deliver what was expected or promised. I still thoroughly enjoyed it, but I p***es me off too. I think for me it was the major decisions you make were barely addressed and were of little consequence. The biggest for me being the Rachni queen.

I hear ya, it's all good. I think I'm having too much fun with this ending recap thing that I've been writing up. When it's ready I'll probably post it in that other Mass Effect thread so that I don't take up a bunch of space on here.

At standard Times New Roman / 12pt font, it takes up 21 pages of a MS Word document... and that's without any pictures lol

Going off topic for a moment, I thought I would share a link that I'm sure most of you will enjoy... one of the benefits of living in the Philadelphia area!

Philadelphia's Best Grilled Cheese | The Daily Meal

This made me hungry immediately. My reason to go is the cheesteaks. I have yet to see anywhere make them properly except in Philly. Places always want to throw peppers and other crap into them. Grilled onions and maybe mushrooms are the way to do it. Nobody gets the meat right either. This is how they should look.

120312054355-cheesesteak-eatocracy-story-top.jpg

This made me hungry immediately. My reason to go is the cheesteaks. I have yet to see anywhere make them properly except in Philly. Places always want to throw peppers and other crap into them. Grilled onions and maybe mushrooms are the way to do it. Nobody gets the meat right either. This is how they should look.

Nothing like getting to a Phillies game a little early on a nice summer day, swinging by Ashburn Alley to get a cheeseteak w/ fried onions WIT from Tony Luke's, stopping by Chickes & Pete's and getting some crab fries to go, then heading over to the seats to enjoy the game :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom