Elder Scrolls Online for PS4/Xbox One

This game is pretty awesome, but it's quite vast, and I don't quite know where all to go or what direction to move in. I joined the Thieve's Guild, so I'm hoping that will help some, but it's not quite as straightforward as Skyrim, which I understand, I just have to take it a bit slower to really get into it. Does anyone have any suggestions or even just useful FYI's for introducing myself to the whole thing? I'm subscribed to ESO Plus so I can access most all of the DLC, and depending on how far into it I get, I may put real money on it.

This game is pretty awesome, but it's quite vast, and I don't quite know where all to go or what direction to move in. I joined the Thieve's Guild, so I'm hoping that will help some, but it's not quite as straightforward as Skyrim, which I understand, I just have to take it a bit slower to really get into it. Does anyone have any suggestions or even just useful FYI's for introducing myself to the whole thing? I'm subscribed to ESO Plus so I can access most all of the DLC, and depending on how far into it I get, I may put real money on it.

I thought that game was pretty cool too. I just don't have the time that you have to throw at it to get the most out of it. I really liked what I saw of it though and the controls were tight for an MMO.

Lastplace and I played this a bit, so maybe he'll chime in. I haven't played it for over a year at least and I recall it being fun but also kinda boring and frustrating. This is definitely an MMORPG so it is different than just a standard Elder Scrolls game which are single player. If you don't like to play MMOs solo then you probably won't like ESO. I have to play MMOs with others so ESO was pretty awful to be when going at it solo

When I was able to play with my gf or Lastplace I had a ton of fun. We did a lot of dungeon crawling and exploring. However, when we would try to do the open world missions it didn't always work when you were in a party. Constant and diligent communication is needed to make sure you guys are near each other, locked onto the same quest, and on the same task. Many times it was just chaos and we ended up having to do these quests solo at the same time and in the same area. It was definitely frustrating at times

Dungeons and other modes intended for multiple people were great though. There were some hiccups with dungeons in terms of finding a reliable person via PUGs to be competent but I guess that's pretty standard. For awhile finding a dungeon was almost an impossible task but they have seriously done a lot to make sure you can get into dungeons via the dungeon finder

Aside from all of that, the characters and races don't really matter. Play whomever and however you want. There really isn't a concept of the holy trinity here. Pretty much any race/class can be a healer/dps/tank/etc. So in that regard, its okay if you and a friend are the same class because you can play totally different roles and it'll be fine

The controls are actually playing the game are really well done and its a blast to play. I don't remember every being frustrated by not being able to do something. The visuals are great too and the PS4 Pro gives a big boost to performance and graphics that is very noticeable compared to the original PS4

I thought that game was pretty cool too. I just don't have the time that you have to throw at it to get the most out of it. I really liked what I saw of it though and the controls were tight for an MMO.

I definitely get the feeling that it's gonna take some time, and I definitely want to pace myself because of it. I guess I was just concerned I wasn't going about it the right way necessarily because it's so VAST, but having never played an MMO beyond Destiny (for whatever that's worth), I didn't really know what to expect.

Lastplace and I played this a bit, so maybe he'll chime in. I haven't played it for over a year at least and I recall it being fun but also kinda boring and frustrating. This is definitely an MMORPG so it is different than just a standard Elder Scrolls game which are single player. If you don't like to play MMOs solo then you probably won't like ESO. I have to play MMOs with others so ESO was pretty awful to be when going at it solo

When I was able to play with my gf or Lastplace I had a ton of fun. We did a lot of dungeon crawling and exploring. However, when we would try to do the open world missions it didn't always work when you were in a party. Constant and diligent communication is needed to make sure you guys are near each other, locked onto the same quest, and on the same task. Many times it was just chaos and we ended up having to do these quests solo at the same time and in the same area. It was definitely frustrating at times

Dungeons and other modes intended for multiple people were great though. There were some hiccups with dungeons in terms of finding a reliable person via PUGs to be competent but I guess that's pretty standard. For awhile finding a dungeon was almost an impossible task but they have seriously done a lot to make sure you can get into dungeons via the dungeon finder

Aside from all of that, the characters and races don't really matter. Play whomever and however you want. There really isn't a concept of the holy trinity here. Pretty much any race/class can be a healer/dps/tank/etc. So in that regard, its okay if you and a friend are the same class because you can play totally different roles and it'll be fine

The controls are actually playing the game are really well done and its a blast to play. I don't remember every being frustrated by not being able to do something. The visuals are great too and the PS4 Pro gives a big boost to performance and graphics that is very noticeable compared to the original PS4

Yea, it does seem kind of "lonely" for lack of a better word, but being fresh off of Skyrim, I'm ok with playing solo for now, and it also helps me get comfortable with the different controls/enemies/combat/etc. There are a couple of different aspects presented in this game I haven't seen before, and if I stick to this instead of going back to Skyrim (the struggle is real, btw), I should pick up on it in a way that will help me continue to be able to play in a way that's enjoyable. However, I also like playing with patient, experienced people, and a friend/group of friends is always a welcome addition. If you ever see me on there (given Destiny's recent flatline, it might be soon and often) send me an invite or join up if you want to try running around together should either of you find yourselves on. I have a fairly soft learning curve, but I don't mind repetition.

Update! So, as tends to happen, I've gotten more comfortable with how this game operates the more I've played it, and I gotta say, I'm having a lot of fun. Dungeon running is really cool, and it's super easy to prep by just setting up in the queue and going about your business. I've gotten a lot of good gear and exp from them, and it's all helped immensely. I've also discovered how Stablemasters work and the whole upgrading system for your mounts, which is super cool now that I'm getting up there in level. I really notice a difference in speed and stamina. I bought 2 houses, fully furnished (not cheap), and was disappointed to see that they in no way allowed storage like in Skyrim, but was pleased to read later on that they will be including that in an upcoming update. All in all this is shaping up to be a fun alternative to sinking time into Destiny, and I'm excited to continue playing it.

Update NUMERO DOS! Over this last week I hit it pretty hard, and as of last night, I broke Champion level 60 (base level cap of 50 plus another 60 levels, kind of like Paragon in Diablo), and ran my first Veteran Dungeon. Those fights are tooooough, seriously without a good healer I was dead before I got halfway through an enemy. Thankfully I only had that happen in the beginning, and I stuck close to my group after that and we came out ok. I got a crap-ton of good loot and exp, so I'm hoping I can keep running the Vet dungeons to build a really good setup, but it's some rull risky business in my current state.

Back
Top Bottom