Corporate owned phone

Bk12134

Beta member
Hi First post

I apologize if this has been asked in the past.

Can my employer control "everything" on my phone (company owns the phone iPhone 5s.)

I can retrieve my work emails through the exchange server on the phone and agreed they could remotely wipe the phone if they deemed necessary.

My question is that when I am not on their server (I.e sitting in the office on THEIR WIFI network) can they see what I browse elsewhere? Example, I am at home on MY paid for wifi through the cable company at my house, can the track the web browser traffic while I am at home? And no , I'm not concerned about racy sites, just job searching but on my current employees phone, but doing it on my personal wifi.

Make sense ?

Yes, they can control everything on the p hone if it's a work-assigned phone. It's not yours, it's just being lent to you.

As for being able to see traffic...depends on what kind of monitoring they have; if it stores the history / etc. to a local place on the phone then syncs once it gets into the office...sure it's possible. Or even through cell data.

Best thing would be to not use your work phone for anything but work, and use your personal devices for personal browsing (including alternate employment).

Thank you for the response!

Is there anyway to tell if they have that tech on my specific phone? Again, I just dint want then access to the browser (looking for jobs) or my personal email (responding to said searches.

I can tell you that it states a VPn is " not connected and also the phone cane straight from Verizon to my desk. No one else has ever touched it.

Thanks!

Your company orders the phones to specs offered by the supplier. if there's a master phone or they are setup to sync to the network at your office, then when you get in range you're borked. If this software is in place, you'll never find it. I'll bet real money it is.
Seems a bit ungrateful to look for another job on your current employer's phone. You're headed for trouble, trust me. I'd fire you if you worked for me.

It's called MDM - mobile device management, we supply iphone6 work phones and we use this with our spice works inventory software, we can monitor activity, remote wipe or install and uninstall apps, it will alert us to activity such as browsing to gmail or certain websites..

So be careful what you do. :cool:

And like others have said you won't be able to block it.. And if you did, your work will know as it can flag when a phone hasn't sync in a specific time :cool:

Your company orders the phones to specs offered by the supplier. if there's a master phone or they are setup to sync to the network at your office, then when you get in range you're borked. If this software is in place, you'll never find it. I'll bet real money it is.
Seems a bit ungrateful to look for another job on your current employer's phone. You're headed for trouble, trust me. I'd fire you if you worked for me.

This. It doesn't matter what you do on the phone or how you try to cover it up, the software can track it. Same with most company provided computers. It tracks everything and sends the log next time it connects to the company network. A good rule of thumb is: If you have to ask if it's okay, then you shouldn't be doing it.

I have a works phone and use it also as a personal phone. Including viewing this forum, I find this topic interesting.
Everyone seems to mention it will send all required information when it syncs so why not just delete your internet history prior to any syncing from other networks?

I see ok well that answers that question. I thought that did seem to easy and I.T would have already predicted that. I don't see why they would want to check everyone's browsing history though seems like a waste of time and money. Surely there has to be a decent reason to investigate an individual in the first place. Anyway I say don't bite out of the hand that feeds you, best practice.

They probably don't proactively search the content. Most places will monitor and log activity deemed suspicious and if something were to occur like a security breech or someone leaving the company they would look back at those log files.

I'm not sure what position you are in at your current company, but i assure you it is not a waste of time or money. If a partner in your company siphoned off millions of dollars worth of business to his side business it would be worth every bit of a few grand to implement a solution that would help protect the business.

Back
Top Bottom