Virtualization vs Partition

techdad

Beta member
I'm looking to install Linux on my laptop simply to get familiarized with it. Currently I'm still using Windows 7 and the laptop itself has basic specs for Web browsing and office work.
My question is what's better to run a secondary OS? Virtualization or Partition?
Thanks in advance.

Virtualization, you can break it and reinstall it non-stop, and use it whilst on WIndows.

No worrying about making a bootable usb all the time, also you can run different OS's at the same time, e.g. redhat and ubuntu.

You need atleast 4GB RAM though, but pref is 8GB.

Thanks, the breaking it part is great to know since I'm new to Linux it's bound to happen. I just upgraded to 8gb of ram not too long ago so that's not an issue.

not that i2D__ needs me to agree but they are correct Virtual is best. . provided your pc can support it. things to consider does the cpu support virtualization and how much ram is installed on your machine.

Virtualization FTW. I agree, it's easier, you can reinstall at any time and you don't have to reboot the computer to simply check your email or access a program on the windows partition.

not that i2D__ needs me to agree but they are correct Virtual is best. . provided your pc can support it. things to consider does the cpu support virtualization and how much ram is installed on your machine.

You made a good point I forgot to mention, check your CPU can support it, check the bios of the laptop to enable Intel-VT / AMD-V, depending on CPU. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom