The Operating System - An explanation

lion soldado

Beta member
An Operating System is usually an essential component of your computer.

An operating system or OS, is piece of software that enables the computer's hardware to communicate and operate with applications. Without an OS, many applications could not run.

Applications are written to run on top of a particular operating system. Your choice of operating system determines to a great extent the applications you can run. Multitasking refers to the running of multiple independent computer programs on the same computer; giving the appearance that it is performing the tasks at the same time.

Most new computers can manage hundred of tasks simultaneously. The computer's processor and memory are the main determinants of how many tasks can be handled. Management of these tasks generally done via time-sharing, which means that each program uses a share of the computer's resources to execute. The OS manages all of this without any help from the computer user.

Since the operating system determines what software is available for a given computer, many users observe the high volume of software available for Windows machines and make their computer purchases accordingly. Other well known operating systems include Mac OS X, several varieties of Linux (the most popular being Ubuntu), FreeBSD and Solaris. Mac, Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris are all built on top of Unix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Your Computer Operating System... Best explanation.

How can you leave out linux and web oses if this is the "Best Explanation"?

Uhh, please explain how Windows is a less "full featured" operating system compared to mac? lawl

I know Microsoft in the way of Windows is the most popular desktop Solution but you have so many Variations of the OS, as in the Operating System Software environment it self.. I have all ways been frightened by Linux, I have all ways stuck too Windows, witch I do hate my self for.. As Windows is the Most abused OS in my opinion when it comes too Viruses, Malwere, Trojans ECT: .. The range of Linux Operating Systems is astounding and unbelievable if you look and do some research, and their seems too be a OS for every Porpoise.. Let alone other systems such as Windows 32 Bit, 64 Bit and Variations of the range it self.. Mac, Cross Platform Devices, Multi Lingual Software based Technology witch is Mufti purpose in regards too the Specific function of the device.

How do virtual machines work? I've always understood that an operating system is merely an interface for communication between hardware and software, but can't really wrap my head around virtual machines.

How do virtual machines work? I've always understood that an operating system is merely an interface for communication between hardware and software, but can't really wrap my head around virtual machines.
It is basically running an operating system virtually. It shares the hardware of the computer, but the operating system is running in the background of a current operating system. I think that's correct

It is basically running an operating system virtually. It shares the hardware of the computer, but the operating system is running in the background of a current operating system. I think that's correct

It is one form of a virtual operating system but not exactly right. In a business environment you have a high power server running in a server room. It is capable of running multiple sessions of a virtual desktop environment. Then the end user sitting at their desk uses a dumb terminal that only has the software needed to connect to the server and launch the session. All the processing for the actual desktop environment takes place on the server, not on the end users terminal. In layman's terms it looks to the end user like they are using a computer at their desk, when in fact they are remoted into a computer running somewhere else.

It is one form of a virtual operating system but not exactly right. In a business environment you have a high power server running in a server room. It is capable of running multiple sessions of a virtual desktop environment. Then the end user sitting at their desk uses a dumb terminal that only has the software needed to connect to the server and launch the session. All the processing for the actual desktop environment takes place on the server, not on the end users terminal. In layman's terms it looks to the end user like they are using a computer at their desk, when in fact they are remoted into a computer running somewhere else.

That's more the definition of a thin-client/zero-client.

That was perhaps one of the worst attempts at an explanation I've ever seen. Rewrote it to actually state facts, not opinions. Hopefully I got everything.

Back
Top Bottom