Online Database System? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Projects and Tutorials
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2020, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Online Database System?

Hi Everyone! Very new here...not even sure I'm writing in the correct platform, but if anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.
I sell at an outdoor market- antiques, vintage items, coins, etc. As I sell these pieces I would like to send a card with the item that has a brief description and maybe a QR code where the buyer can scan the code and be directed to additional historical information on the pieces. Some items would have identical information (like the ancient coins), but there would also be some one of a kind info as well. Is there some type of software that I could access, and the buyer could access it as well? Or even type in an individual item number that would pull up that info. I just don't want to have to print out pamphlets for all of my inventory. It would be a lot! I hope this all makes sense...I'm very old school, and just trying my best! Any advice is appreciated and thank you so much in advance!

Old 06-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
i2D
i 2 D 2

Default Re: Online Database System?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquevintage View Post
Hi Everyone! Very new here...not even sure I'm writing in the correct platform, but if anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.
I sell at an outdoor market- antiques, vintage items, coins, etc. As I sell these pieces I would like to send a card with the item that has a brief description and maybe a QR code where the buyer can scan the code and be directed to additional historical information on the pieces. Some items would have identical information (like the ancient coins), but there would also be some one of a kind info as well. Is there some type of software that I could access, and the buyer could access it as well? Or even type in an individual item number that would pull up that info. I just don't want to have to print out pamphlets for all of my inventory. It would be a lot! I hope this all makes sense...I'm very old school, and just trying my best! Any advice is appreciated and thank you so much in advance!
Yes you can use any online QR code generator. type in the URL you want people to be able to goto and QR code will just work as long as they have the scanner (most new phone have it built into camera app)

https://www.qr-code-generator.com/

Try the above, you just need to copy that QR code to any email or letter for them

Old 06-02-2020, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi! Thank you for your response! And yes, I do know how to generate the QR code...Iím looking for help on an online database system where I can log all of my information and my buyers can also access that information via QR code or item number.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Exactly what kind of information would you be logging for each item? Name, description, price, URL for history to somewhere (e.g. wikipedia article)?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yes, Name, Description, and history of the item that I would type up. Price isnít necessary for the consumer to see since I wonít be selling the items online...but if there is a program that allows me to access the cost and price for my own record keeping that would be great too.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquevintage View Post
Yes, Name, Description, and history of the item that I would type up. Price isnít necessary for the consumer to see since I wonít be selling the items online...but if there is a program that allows me to access the cost and price for my own record keeping that would be great too.
Something simple that you could set up could be a sitebuilder site (such as Wordpress) (or if you have your own website/domain, host Wordpress on there as a subdomain or something similar). Then you can create a page per item, with whatever information you would like on them. Then you can put that URL in the QR Code, generate it, and print that code.

Then it will link to that page, so you can always update it. Just print a little tag for each item that says like:
"Scan me for more information!" and it has the item's unique QR Code on it.

That's the first thing that comes to mind that should be "simple" (I'm a software developer by profession, so something custom would be easy for me). There's other site builders out there as well (Wix, Weebly, Squarespace). Site builders may even have QR Code generator extensions/add-ons you could put on to easily generate them for you, without having to manually do so. More here: https://www.sitebuilderreport.com/best-website-builder

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote