Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mechanical Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I have been procrastinating about writing up a review for this but now is as good of a time as any. Since this is not an "official" review I will not be using the official layout. My camera is AWOL so I will be using Cooler Master's images, as well as some from NewEgg.

First off, here is Cooler Master's overview video of the keyboard:

23-129-002-Z04

First off, this is not a standard keyboard. I purposefully looked for a keyboard that did not have a numeric keypad. When I game I like having my hands closer together but a standard keyboard was just too long for my tastes. This is not a problem with the QuickFire.

I was also hankering for a mechanical keyboard as I remember the days of the old IBM monstrosities. The CM Storm QuickFire fits that bill as well with its blue cherry switches. The QuickFire also comes in/with red switches but NewEgg only carries the blue. that's not a problem for me, however.

2.jpg

7.jpg

The layout of the keys are pretty standard, except for the lack of a numeric keypad. The QuickFire adds a FN button on the right of the spacebar between the Windows key and the CTRL key. This key adds some additional functionality to the F5-F12 keys, such as multimedia controls, locking the Windows key (game mode), and volume controls. I like that these were added without using additional keys so as the keep the size of the keyboard down to its basic measurements.

The keyboard does not have a numlock light (obviously), but neither does it have an independent caps lock or scroll lock light. Instead each one is a part of the representative key itself which really makes a lot of sense.

Underneath the QuickFire is three-way channel for routing the USB cable. I have mine routed straight out the top of the keyboard, but you could also take it out of either the left or right side to aid in your cable management. The USB cord is not made into the keyboard but it a standard mini USB cable that can be detached albeit that the cord it comes with is braided for a very nice touch. I wasn't sure about how I would like that but I now think it a good thing as I can remove it when cleaning the keyboard or moving/storing it. The bottom also has two lega to give the QuickFire a steeper angle if you prefer your keyboard that way (I do).

The QuickFire weighs just over two pounds (940g). While not quite heavy enough to be lethal it is enough to keep it from moving while you bang out an essay or take out the bad guys. Two rubber feet just under the front of the keyboard also help keep it still. there are two other rubber feet just to the inside of the raiser legs but mine are up in the air since I prefer a steeper angle for typing.

4.jpg

The keys themselves are concave and nestle your fingertips very nicely. It is very easy to tell when your are dead center of a key and when you are tapping the edge of one. The keys are rubber coated as well. I have found typing to be much more enjoyable on the QuickFire than on my Saitek Eclipse, due to both the tactile feedback and the sound of the keys themselves. My typing speed seems to have increased some with this keyboard, but I have not noticed any discernible increase in my gaming performance... which is probably due to me being a mediocre player, truth be told.

6.jpg

The QuickFire also comes with some additional keys if you are more of a straight up gamer. I doubt I will ever use mine, though.

You can get the full specs from the NewEgg page as well as the Cooler Master page.

The Bottom Line

I have found this keyboard to be well worth the money I paid for it. I see me using this one for a long, long time. It is comfortable, stylish, and flat out killer to use. The only con I have found with the QuickFire thus far is that I am beginning to wear the writing off of the left Shift and CTRL keys as I use them for my TeamSpeak hot key and crouching in-game; definitely not a deal breaker, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom