Your first car

How many of you were given your first car vs earned the money to buy it yourself?

I got a job at age 16 working at an amusement park for $1.35/hr and it took me about 6 months or so to save $250 to buy my car. Rode my bike to and from work until then.

I was given mine. I bought the rest. My next was a '71 4-door Maverick, followed by a '76 Thunderbird with a 351 Windsor.

Sent from my LG-E980 using TechForums

My dad gave let me use the family car 05 Hyundai Elentra when I got my license
The first car I bought was a 2000 Toyota Solara, loved it
Got totaled by someone running into my lane.
Got a 2002 Solara a week after and still have it !

First car my mother bought for $500, second car (Intrepid) we traded in for $500 and paid $1500 to get it, third car (Grand Am) I bought my self, fourth car (Impala) I also bought my self for $600ish. Kinda a GM guy... Still miss the Intrepid though.

How many of you were given your first car vs earned the money to buy it yourself?

I got a job at age 16 working at an amusement park for $1.35/hr and it took me about 6 months or so to save $250 to buy my car. Rode my bike to and from work until then.
My "first" car I got myself but the title wasn't in my name. My technical first car my mom gave to me but I had put a little over 1500 to make it run and drive again. So doesn't count, but to me it does. I also did the work on it too.

The first car I used was a family so it wasn't really mine.
However I did buy my first car, got a bank loan and everything.
I've pretty much had to work hard and earn everything I own myself (and my wife now)

Oh, I forgot about the one that came between the second Maverick and the T-bird. I had a '70 Plymouth Satellite that had been an unmarked police car in Virginia. It had a 318 that had been bored out to something (never had it measured) and still had the footprint of the interceptor carb on the motor. Picked it up for 200 because it ran ragged but it only needed the springs redone in the alternator cap. It's mileage sucked (passed two gas stations per tankfull) but I was never able to completely wind it out; buried the needle but still had about a third of the pedal to go and I chickened out.

Sent from my LG-E980 using TechForums

My first car I bought myself for $4,000. 2002 something Pontiac Grand Prix. Sold it for $2,800 just as I bought my 2007 Camry Hybrid :tongue: Just under $10,000 for that one. I don't see myself getting a new car for at least another few years.

The first car I used was a family so it wasn't really mine.
However I did buy my first car, got a bank loan and everything.
I've pretty much had to work hard and earn everything I own myself (and my wife now)
I've also had to work hard for everything I own, even put myself through college with zero assistance from my parents. I worked full-time during the day to support my wife and I, then went to school full-time at night to get my degree.

My 2nd car was a 1962 Plymouth Belvedere with a 225ci six. I bought it in 1972 for $200 when i was in the Army and attending electronics school at Ft. Gordan, GA. It had a 3-speed manual tranny with the shifter on the column. When I took it for a test drive, there was something screwed up with the linkage and every time I tried to shift from 1st to 2nd the linkage would hang up. I told the guy no way would I buy a car I couldn't shift. So he changed out the column shifter and put in a floor shifter. The shifter he put in was a Hurst competition shifter that was spring loaded so when shifting from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to 3rd, all you had to do was slap it forward or back and it would do the rest. That car had no guts but it sure was fun to shift!

1962-Plymouth-Belvedere.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom