Worklog: 2003 GMC Sonoma 2WD 2.2L

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
So, I am going to keep a worklog here somewhat detailing my experiences with my sisters truck...

Day Zero:
As some know, I was cruising along the other day at typical speeds going home from work. Normally, there ARE deer around this area by the roads, but, not where I had hit one, I was a little over 2 miles away from where they like to cross. The deer had jumped over an overgrown fence line where I couldn't see it, right into my path as I was on top of it, I didn't even have time to avoid it or get my foot off of the accelerator. Needless to say, deer no more, and front end... well... it didn't do so well...

What surprised us, and the insurance agent that wants to total the truck out is the fact that the air bag system did NOT engage, the accelerometors and impact sensors had all tripped, but the computer system failed to fire the air bags... No air bag light... So they could fire at any moment, possibly when I hook the battery up, or as I am going down the road, needless to say, the system is being disabled till a dealer can take a poke at it next year...

First up, I am standing right where the deer had jump, and where I had actually hit it, you can see the debris along the road, I had no cell phone, so I spent a little over an hour walking home because the ass holes on this road refused to answer the door so early in the morning after hearing a loud bang and tires screeching, along with a deer screaming...
1.jpg

Well, as I was taking the pictures, me, my mother, sister, and a few friends started to scratch our heads as we got to the truck... We couldn't find the deer!!! As required by local game laws, I have to take a picture and call the state police, game warden, and all sorts of things... But no deer in sight... Anyways, this shows the front end damage, the grill, was hit with such force, in such a way that it had shattered for the most part, but a huge chunk of it literally had launched into the air, and went over the cab, landing nicely in the truck bed. Gee, guess that's one thing I didn't have to pick up off the road... :-\ The passenger side front end area was forced back ~7 inches compared to the driver side front end. No frame damage, but, due to how the front end is built, this would easily happen due to fender and radiator support damage. The entire front section that is black, is the radiator support.
2.jpg

Suspected parts needing replaced.
Radiator
Condenser
Battery (second picture shows a damp spot (around where it's green, two different liquids on the road) which is battery acid)
Fender
Hood
Hood Latch
Radiator
Fan
Fan Clutch
Headlamp passenger side
Coolant tank
Bumper
Battery Tray
Engine computer (knew the location of the computer, was afraid it had been damaged as well during impact)
Steering components

Day One:
I finally got off from work for once after a nice long night and feet killing me... Have had no sleep for awhile now, rather sick and stressed over this accident as it will wipe me out for a good long while financially... Not my truck, it's my sisters, and she NEEDS it for work... She already missed a few jobs because of us being down to one car. So I didn't take pictures of the detailed damage, nor how bad things really was... Nor the process of removing everything.

I WILL say this though, GM loves 10MM, 13MM and 15MM bolts/nuts, I love GM for this passion of wanting to use about the same size for nearly everything. After removing nearly 130 bolts/nuts... I can finally sleep for a few hours...

What remains and is good is below... Not much of a front end left...
3.jpg

4.jpg

Right now, the cost is a little over $1300 before fluids, battery, and new head light bulbs are purchased.

Known needed items.
Radiator support main
Radiator support center
Bumper support arms
Condenser
Fan Clutch
Radiator
Several bushings...
Battery
Headlamp for both sides
Grill
Fan Shroud
Fender
Hood
Hood latch
Power Steering cooler
Transmission cooler
Oil cooler
(apparently it had a transmission and oil cooler behind the bumper to help cool those fluids a bit more than it typically would have)
Battery Cables
Battery Fuse that should not exist in the location it does...
Drill bits
Wire brush
PAINT!!! Gotta try to eliminate rusting...
Coolant
Serviced AC system
Power steering fluid
Transmission fluid as it poured out at one point, all 14 quarts (Antler went through pan...)
Transmission filter
Power steering system filter (wasn't aware this existed as well right behind the radiator support under everything in the world, not a stock item...)
Full paint job

Day Two:
Got an email from Rockauto, several parts are delayed and my order on numerous trucks including two freight trucks wont go out till the third of december, and will take ~2 weeks to arrive at my door step... Project is somewhat postponed until December 18th 2012.... As a plus, a friend has loaned me a large kerosene heater for the garage since I can't afford to run the massive electric heaters in the garage. It may not help keep it nice and cozy, but surely it will be at least 1F warmer in the garage than outside.

Last edited:
Funniest commentary I've ever read. Best of luck, and holler if you need anything! I'm pretty good at sorting out auto parts.

I would have let the insurance company total it and buy a new (used) truck...

Seems more trouble than it's worth...

That is a very long story... They wouldn't pay enough to cover a truck as the value hit $500 due to a freaking dent my mother left on it a few years ago on the back side, which ruined the value of the truck, even on taxes we have a value of around 650 due to the mileage and that dent. It's honestly not trouble, just expensive...

Day Three:

Today I am off work, sorta... Anyways, a few parts have arrived, but, I can't do much of anything till the truck with the radiator support and radiator gets here... It's somewhere between here and montana, dunno where.

So far I have the following delivered...

Transmission cooler
Condenser
Grill (new one has chrome accents, old one was plain grey)
Passenger side fender
AC O-Ring kit
Oil cooler
Center rad support piece
hood latch...
Random junk on the list that I don't or can't use yet because the first piece being the rad support and fan clutch still aren't here...

Anyways, I began today cleaning and replacing cables/ends as needed due to corrosion. Found a can of cleaner at autozone, seemed like it would work nicely for the $6 I paid, but the stuff plain old sucks... Sprays out in a hard straight stream, then foams slightly, if at all... But once in awhile it sprays in a mist, and foams up nicely, cleaning the corrosion from inside the cables nicely it appears.

Picture of Product used:
5.JPG

Ended up replacing both cable ends, re-used the boots to save a few bucks... One was essentially rusted/corroded away entirely and wasn't worth trying to get a snap shot of.
6.JPG

Well, after fiddling around with the pieces of the old grill, I was able to save $60 on something ignorant... The GMC logo, apparently the logo isn't made into the grill, but is bolted onto it... Stupid red reflective letters... But it looks sexy compared to the old dull grill in the end with the chrome. :)
7.JPG

Oh, also forgot, new fender that has a guarantee to fit perfectly on the truck with minimal alignment required.
8.JPG

One last thing, finally got the kerosene heater from a friend, it's small, but heats the garage nicely, a gallon of fuel should last ~6 hours on low, about one hour on high output.
9.JPG

I will update as things go along... Just waiting on a stupid freight truck with my radiator support so I can get the show on the road.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom