In Dash Navigation

tj_extreme

Daemon Poster
I need a good navigation unit for my kids car. It's a 97 Saturn Sl1 (not that that'll help, just throwing it out there.) I want a double din Nav/Sat radio reciever. 6.1-7 inch touchscreen. I'm not installing it; having a shop in town doing it as they have to mod the dash a bit to fit on in there. I just want to know of a good unit to buy. MUST have SiriusXM capability, HD radio wouldn't hurt either. DVD playback doesn't matter.

Also, all four (2 front, 2 rear) speakers in his car are **** and need replaced, too. Suggestions on that?

Budget?

My friend has this Kenwood. It's a bit pricey, but when I played with it I thought it was great.
Kenwood - 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple® iPod®-/Satellite Radio-Ready In-Dash DVD Deck with Built-In HD Radio - DNX6190HD

For speakers, you can get some Pioneer speakers on the cheaper side. I have some cheap 6x8s in my Mustang as "get me by" speakers and they are actually pretty decent coming from an audiophile.
Kickers I would say are the next up. They make really good 3 way.
My next choice would be JBL 3 way.

Edit: Here are the GTO938s.
http://car-speakers-review.toptenreviews.com/jbl-car-speakers-review.html

Pricey, but you can get the 928s for much cheaper. I plan on putting 4 928s in my car asap. Best used with a small amp because the 25w coming off the DIN just isn't enough to really push decent speakers without distortion.

Last edited:
I guess the budget would help :p For the receiver, I'm looking at $500. Can go to $600, but no more. Brand doesn't matter.

As for the speakers, what do you think would be a good budget? I don't need anything outstanding, but I want something better than OEM.

Edit: I was looking at this, thoughts?

I have no experience with Clarion products myself but it appears to have good reviews.

80 bucks can get you some good speakers. I prefer JBL, but Kenwood, Kicker, and Pioneer make some good speakers too. Just make sure it isn't the bottom of the barrel junk you can find at Walmart.

Alright, I think I'm gonna buy the Clarion. I'll find some speakers. Thinking of doing the job myself. Problem is, I cannot find anyone on the interwebz who has done this :FuManchu:

Couldn't help you. It's not a PC case lol. I've only installed my own units that actually fit, even though I had planned to put a touch screen DIN in my 68 Mustang. I only had the wiring drawn out though.

Clarion makes some really good speakers, not sure about head units.

Remember, the satellite radio component is an optional add-on, must be purchased for that unit. I also suggest spending the extra few bucks on a backup camera.

For insurance purposes, if that unit says to hook one of the ground wires to your e-brake, I suggest doing it, otherwise if that car is EVER in an accident that appears to be the drivers fault, and they notice that unit can play movies while the car e-brake isn't on, you can say bye bye to insurance costs as they will sky-rocket, and the blame will 100% be on that driver. It's also illegal to drive the car in that manor.

Satellite Radio Adapter: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46876_SiriusXM-SXV200V1-SXV200-v1.html
HD Radio Add-On: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23041_Clarion-THD400.html
iPod Audio and Video hookups : http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23635_Clarion-CCA-748-600.html

This is specific to the Clarion you was looking at, IMO, if you want those things, get them and have the shop install it all at once. Wanting to wait till later will just result in more costs unless you can do it your self. Don't forget, if that shop does it right, there will be costs on top of labor for proper mount kits, and wiring kits that could be needed.

They do make a steering wheel kit that lets you control the radio that way so hands never have to leave the wheel, but I couldn't find one specifically for that radio.

Last edited:

Remember, the satellite radio component is an optional add-on, must be purchased for that unit. I also suggest spending the extra few bucks on a backup camera.

For insurance purposes, if that unit says to hook one of the ground wires to your e-brake, I suggest doing it, otherwise if that car is EVER in an accident that appears to be the drivers fault, and they notice that unit can play movies while the car e-brake isn't on, you can say bye bye to insurance costs as they will sky-rocket, and the blame will 100% be on that driver. It's also illegal to drive the car in that manor.

Satellite Radio Adapter: SIRIUS XM V200 SXV200V1 (SXV200) Satellite Radio Vehicle Tuner 2.0
HD Radio Add-On: Clarion THD400 HD Radio Tuner Module for Select Clarion
iPod Audio and Video hookups : Clarion CCA-748 (CCA-748-600) iPod Audio/Video Connection Cable CCA748

This is specific to the Clarion you was looking at, IMO, if you want those things, get them and have the shop install it all at once. Wanting to wait till later will just result in more costs unless you can do it your self. Don't forget, if that shop does it right, there will be costs on top of labor for proper mount kits, and wiring kits that could be needed.

They do make a steering wheel kit that lets you control the radio that way so hands never have to leave the wheel, but I couldn't find one specifically for that radio.
I did not know this.

I did know this, sadly because something similar happened to me, pulled over, DVD playing, cop got very angry, insurance also found out...

Satellite Radio Adapter: SIRIUS XM V200 SXV200V1 (SXV200) Satellite Radio Vehicle Tuner 2.0
HD Radio Add-On: Clarion THD400 HD Radio Tuner Module for Select Clarion
iPod Audio and Video hookups : Clarion CCA-748 (CCA-748-600) iPod Audio/Video Connection Cable CCA748

I know the Sat radio is an add on to most units (including this one) but some don't support it at all which is why I specified. Why would he need a back up camera? That car is legit a real life matchbox car.

I did know this, sadly because something similar happened to me, pulled over, DVD playing, cop got very angry, insurance also found out...

Why were you playing a DVD while driving...? :SeriouslyChan::No::FuManchu::FuManchu::Fuu::Fuu::SeriouslyChan::MeGusta:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom