2004 Chevy Silverado LS

Different kinds of squeaks exist... You have metallic like ones, then you have rubbery/plastic like sounds...

Does it squeak when sitting still and turning the wheel? Does it squeak when turning the wheels while moving? Does the squeak only occur on parking lots or on gravel?
Does it squeak with the engine running and turning the wheel? Does it squeak with the engine off and turning the wheels?

At this point it could be tires on pavement making noise, faulty strut bearings (don't think you have that on your truck, some do, most don't), faulty ball joints, tires rubbing on the wheel liner (caused by faulty ball joint or control arms) worn out steering gear, or a worn out pump. Plenty of things to look at that can cause a squeak that we have no real idea of.

My tires squeak every time I turn on the parking lot at work due to the recent coating they put onto the lot. Freaks me out often.

Last edited:
Sorry for my lack of details, it squeaks on both pavement and gravel in motion. It doesn't do that when idle or engine off. Thank you for your help cause I don't know a d*** thing about vehicles lol. I just need some sort of a idea I guess haha.

Sorry for my lack of details, it squeaks on both pavement and gravel in motion. It doesn't do that when idle or engine off. Thank you for your help cause I don't know a d*** thing about vehicles lol. I just need some sort of a idea I guess haha.
When it's cold outside (below freezing), my car used to make a strange noise the first couple of times when I took a turn right or left (sounded like a plastic knocking noise that increased in tempo depending on how fast I took a turn).

Mechanic told me it was a bad CV joint. He replaced it and the noise went away.

techleaner, since this is a truck, you do not have a CV joint unless it's four wheel drive. It squeaks while in motion only, and while only making turns, specifically only LEFT turns? Sounds almost like it is suspension related, or steering gear failure... Could also still be a wheel rubbing on something.

First thing to check is obvious and easy stuff. With the truck sitting still, turn the wheels all the way to the right. Look on both sides of the front end where the wheels are, see if they come into contact with anything, then have an assistant SLOWLY move the wheels to the left while you watch both sides, see if you can see at any point that the wheels rub something.

Next thing to check, wheel bearings. Jack the front of the truck up, either side, but both sides must be done. Grab your wheel at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions and try to move it back and forth, pushing/pulling on top, and vice/verse on the bottom. If it wiggles or moves, you have a faulty bearing.

Tie Rod Ends: Grab the same tire at 3 and 9, try to wiggle it left/right. SOME wiggle is OK, but a lot can cause issues, I doubt the problem is tie-rod related.

Suspension: Strut/Bearing or possible spring, take it to a shop for inspection, not suggested for a first-time DIY.

Last thing, but probably should be done first... Check your Power Steering Fluid! Depending upon what type of fluid it is (Some cars use brake fluid, some use Transmission fluid, some use actual power steering fluid) it should either be clear, or a brightish red, if brown, or black, then the fluid is worn out, contaminated, and needs flushed out and new put in properly. Also, check to make sure you have the proper amount in the resevoir. Too little and it will whine at times, too much and you could burn the pump up as air gets introduced due to the actions of the pump, it then becomes frothy like and will not operate as required.

Hi. Was just reading your thread. I would bet you if you put someone behind the wheel and have them turn it the wheel side to side, while you put you hand on each ball joint you will find the offending one. I'm an ASE certified master tech and this sounds like a typical ball joint noise. It doesn't necessarily mean it is bad, just dry. However, since most front end parts don't have grease fittings, it will go bad sooner rather than later.

Hi. Was just reading your thread. I would bet you if you put someone behind the wheel and have them turn it the wheel side to side, while you put you hand on each ball joint you will find the offending one. I'm an ASE certified master tech and this sounds like a typical ball joint noise. It doesn't necessarily mean it is bad, just dry. However, since most front end parts don't have grease fittings, it will go bad sooner rather than later.

Could be a ball joint, but that should be semi-obvious if he does the 12/6 test checking the wheel bearing, provided he pushes/pulls hard enough.

I do rather hate how they have gotten with parts the last few years, used to be you could buy either sealed or regular ol' fashioned ones with grease nipples. Now in days, you tend to only be stuck with these cheap sealed ones.

Back
Top Bottom