xlr mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzi9mm

Fully Optimized
if i have an XLR condenser mic (which will not work on a computer)

will it work if i run it thru a phantom power adapter?

Yes, you need 48V phantom power.

You can buy an analog mixer, and run the mic through and the output of the mixer into an input on the computer.

i got the phantom adapter and it still is recording at very low low levels.. (i have to boost the levels up so much i get nothing but ugly hissing.....) I get the same amount of hissing and levels with or without the phantom power adapter.

someone mentioned a preamp..... would that work?
i would buy that card but i need some things recorded asap.

i got the phantom adapter and it still is recording at very low low levels.. (i have to boost the levels up so much i get nothing but ugly hissing.....) I get the same amount of hissing and levels with or without the phantom power adapter.

someone mentioned a preamp..... would that work?
i would buy that card but i need some things recorded asap.

if you are going to pay for a mixer or preamp, you might as well by the card. it's cheaper

but if you get the mixer or preamp cheap at a pawn shop or something, use it. then you just need the 2 rca to 1/8 inch stereo cords

I need to know what hardware you have.

Theres no point in using a condenser mic with a crappy soundcard.

You need more than just a phantom power adapter, best route would be either a decent pci sound card and analog mixer, or an external sound interface with 48v phantom power.

well i have a laptop..
onboard audio

which i was thinking about getting a sound card but than i realized that i am using a laptop and not a desktop like I have been using.......

EDIT: I found this preamp for $35
MIC100.jpg

Onboard audio is one of the problems.

I hate to break it to you, but if you want to record, you need to spend some more money.

Buy ART USB Dual Pre online at Musician's Friend
Buy M-Audio MobilePre USB online at Musician's Friend

Either of those two will give a major boost in sound quality compared to
the onboard, and support 48v phantom power.

Onboard audio is crap for even just listening to music, and even worse
for recording.

The hiss you hear is a result of the onboard sound, it just cant cut it.

Onboard audio is one of the problems.

I hate to break it to you, but if you want to record, you need to spend some more money.

Buy ART USB Dual Pre online at Musician's Friend
Buy M-Audio MobilePre USB online at Musician's Friend

Either of those two will give a major boost in sound quality compared to
the onboard, and support 48v phantom power.

Onboard audio is crap for even just listening to music, and even worse
for recording.

The hiss you hear is a result of the onboard sound, it just cant cut it.

so true

well i have a laptop..
onboard audio

which i was thinking about getting a sound card but than i realized that i am using a laptop and not a desktop like I have been using.......

EDIT: I found this preamp for $35
MIC100.jpg

I have this preamp that ill sell its an extra dont get a m-audio sound card if you want good clarity you are better off with a em-u...
I use a emu along with a blue vacume mic mxbox and im able to control my synth etc all in one shot lmk if you have any issues i have set up many studios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom