Need good Media Center type program

Status
Not open for further replies.

masteroc

In Runtime
Im basically looking for a program or operating system that will stream all my video and audio from my network nas and play it over the tv. So far i have been using and liking very much XBMC with my modded Xbox. It recognizes every file type that i throw at it and finds all my network drives; however, it is coming to its limits of its processor when trying to play any HD content. In fact it doesnt...thats the problem. So i build myself a media center pc that can handle HD content, the only problem is that im not sure what to put on it. I want something that can recognize a lot of file types (especially .mkv). It does not have to be able to record tv because i will be using fios soon so that will not be possible anyway. I was going to use XBMC for windows, but i see lots of bugs and problems. Are there other media center programs or operating systems that you all would recommend?

Thanks.

Hello,

Why not Windows Media Center? It is included in Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate. There is also a MCE edition of XP. But might not find it now that XP is no longer for sale. Other than that there are a bunch of results on google for Media Center software.

Mayube this will be of use:

Home of XPero - XPize homepage

Seems that the development has stopped for now. But there are talks of bringing it back.

Cheers,
Mak

only problem is that Windows Media Center does not easily play .mkv files, which most of my content is in.

Hello,

With the correct codec pack it should. I have installed Klite, Vista codec pack and Ac3Filter and my MCE plays all files. .MKV files are tough. Mainly only VLC plays them. I dont think WMP can play .mkv even with those packs installed. So you might be outta luck.

I have not personaly tried .mkv files as i dont have any. If i did i would test it for you.

Cheers,
Mak

I just made me a media server for this purpose. I use vista because it's prettier. I use the latest version of klite pack to play everything. during the klite install, pick the "lot of stuff" option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom