Which HDMI cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ksingler

In Runtime
I have a EVGA 9400GT in my computer. I have my computer hooked up to my 46" Samsung 1080i. I'm using a S-Video and whatever the blue port (VGA?) right now. So the video resolution isn't the greatest, but it's okay, acceptable. A HDMI cable is what I need to get better resolutions right? Which one would you suggest that I buy off newegg? Also, I don't have anywhere to plug the HDMI end into my PC, so would any HDMI to DVI adapter work for my PC? Or would the one side HDMI, one side DVI do as well? I have 2 DVI slots for my video card, a s-video on the vid card, and one DVI/VGA slot on my motherboard. I see HDMI cables on newegg for like $10 that get great reviews. How much better quality will I get from a $10 to say a $30? The cord doesn't need to be more than 6 feet long.

Also, would the HDMI give out sound from the TV?

a VGA cable will be able to match your Samsung's 1080i, 1280x720 resolution. A HDMI cable will not allow you to increase resolution any more.

A HDMI cable will provide a better quality picture though, better cables remain better signal strength over a longer distance, they are also shielded against interference. If the distance from your PC to you TV is less than 2meters any cable such as this will be sufficient: Amazon.com: Belkin AM22302-06 6-Foot HDMI-toHDMI Cable: Electronics

I tend to avoid the really cheep cables, ones that are like 1/3rd of the price of that for the same length.

You can spend alot more if you wish, but it is not at all necessary and the quality increase is arguable anyway.

I found a VGA to DVI adapter for my VGA cable. I plugged that into my DVI slot on the video card and I am getting the higher resolutions that I wanted now. Currently using 1920x1080. Looks amazing. Also got the higher resolution that I wanted on CS 1.6, up to 1240 x 1080. Would the HDMI cable give me even higher resolutions or just the same?

Also, which cable am I looking for to get the sound to work on the television?

Newegg.com - CABLES UNLIMITED AUD-1200-25 25 ft. 3.5mm to 2 RCA Cable M-M - Audio Video Cables this?

Is your TV 1080i or 1080p ? 1080p TV's have a max resolution of 1920x1080. You cannot go higher than you TV or Monitors max resolution, no matter what cable you have.

dvi is hdmi without audio. but if your video card support it, it will have a part with you can plug the digital audio on it

Gotcha, I purchased a 3.5mm to 2 RCA(red/white) cable today from Staples, but it didn't work. I couldn't get sound from the TV. I tried putting the connectors into each different set of the red/white ports my HDTV had but still no luck. Realtek HD Audio is my sound drivers and also tried to mess around with the sound and audio device settings but still a no go. Does anyone know how to enable the digital sound output on the Realtek HD audio manager? - I think that might be the problem?

I think I'm just going to go with the HDMI cable that way I don't have to worry about having a different cable for the sound, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom