The true soul of an MMORPG

lastplace09

Fully Optimized
I have always felt that much of the soul of an MMORPG was taken away when people stopped using text chat and started using voice chat.

Voice chat changed the pace of a game(faster) and took away much of the fantasy and mysteriousness of one's character.

Did anyone else experience this shift.

You mean player voice chat? or NPC voices?
Either way I like it better :tongue:

More immersive IMO

You mean player voice chat? or NPC voices?
Either way I like it better :tongue:

More immersive IMO

Mostly player voice chat.

When games stopped emphasizing typed chat areas in favor of glossy, transparent boxes you could drag out of your line of sight - that's when MMORPGS began to die for me.

They USED to be a required element on screen. :-(

Well there is that problem where you got guys playing only female characters. Voice over chat just ruins that entire illusion.......

M-any
M-ales
O-nly
R-ole
P-lay
G-irls

Well there is that problem where you got guys playing only female characters. Voice over chat just ruins that entire illusion.......

M-any
M-ales
O-nly
R-ole
P-lay
G-irls

Yes and no.

Anecdotally speaking, it seems as though voice chat scared away a lot of females due to the overwhelming disrespect that occurs.

Voice chat in MMORPG games will be the downfall of the genre. It took away that social element that made some of the original MMO's so great.

IMO some of the more social aspects of MMO's really shined in Guild Wars 2. Bosses spawned at predetermined locations at set intervals... hundreds of players would gather up at those spots to kill the bosses. Lots of chat going on. That and there were always tons of players at the auction house, which, again, is one of my favorite things about an MMO.

Both of those things ESO screwed up on royally :tongue:

I wish Guild Wars 2 was as active as it used to be. I might get back into it.

Or maybe a new MMO. EVE was too much for me to handle :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom