Which Netbook should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amsreorb

Beta member
So I just found your forum because I needed to ask a question about netbooks and didn't really know much about them myself. I'm planning on purchasing a netbook in the next week and I've narrowed it down. I am going back to school and really just need it to be able to check email, write papers, and use the internet. These are the two options:

Gateway - Netbook / Intel® Atom™ Processor / 10.1" Display / 1GB Memory / 250GB Hard Drive - River Black - LT2802U

Toshiba - Mini Netbook / Intel® Atom™ Processor / 10.1" Display / 1GB Memory / 250GB Hard Drive - Blue - NB505-N500BL

Color and things like that don't matter. I'm just wondering about the specs. I looked at them and compared them and the differences I didn't really understand. There is a difference with video memory and a difference with system bus.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

They're basically identical except the Gateway is 0.2lb lighter. I would look at reviews (google '[netbook manufacturer + model] reviews') to see which of them has the best build quality and screen quality, since those are factors you can't tell just by looking at the specs sheets.

They have the same CPU, RAM, GPU, screen resolution, and battery life.
The difference in GPU you noticed isn't actually a difference - they both have 64MB memory, and they can both use normal RAM (up to 250MB in total including the 64MB already) for graphics too.

Thanks so much for the quick response. I don't really know a lot about netbooks or computer terms for that matter and didn't know if it was worth the difference in price.

No problem ;) And lol, the one thing I didn't look at was the price. I'd go for the Gateway unless there are reviews that point out any potential problems with it.

Oops! Sorry. I saw this was the buying a new computer section and assumed it could go here. My mistake.

The Toshiba has a slightly faster FSB (800Mhz vs 667Mhz) but I doubt you would notice the difference in performance.

The 6-cell batteries are decent, the Toshiba claims 8 hours of run time. Most low-end netbooks come with only 3-cell batteries. If you find the 6-cell battery doesn't give you enough run time you can find 9-cell batteries on Ebay.

When it comes to netbooks they are all very similar. The $200 price of the Gateway is about as good a price for a netbook that I've seen so I'd be inclined to go with that one. I have 3 kids in college, 1 has an Asus eeePC and the other 2 have Acer Aspire Ones. They are great for them to haul around in their backpacks to take notes, send emails or surf the web.

4.6 stars out of 5 with 108 reviews can't be wrong. I'd go with the Toshiba :tongue:

When it comes to netbooks they are all very similar. The $200 price of the Gateway is about as good a price for a netbook that I've seen so I'd be inclined to go with that one. I have 3 kids in college, 1 has an Asus eeePC and the other 2 have Acer Aspire Ones. They are great for them to haul around in their backpacks to take notes, send emails or surf the web.

thats true, some netbooks go up too much in price and if we go back to the main use of a netbook, just basic browsing, email and few videos here and there there is no point in choosing something expensive... if we go for brands, i never had problems with toshibas in how they are built, wile i cannot say the same on gateway, but i still love Asus, take a look at those if you want ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom