Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure/Depends

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

berzekvii

Solid State Member
Hello everyone. I need some advice on a purchase. I've been thinking about getting a netbook. It would strictly be for programming and light internet browsing (if I need to reference/check something).

A little background:
Simply put, my parents do not know when it's time to upgrade.
I currently have a Dell Latitude D620 windows 7 laptop. And all I can say is it's a trooper. Lol.
The bottom part of the monitor frame broke apart on the left side and just pokes out a bit on that side. The speakers are blown, the guy that my dad bought the laptop from only put in a 75gb Hard drive the second time we brought it to him (this was before my dad trusted me with fixing it myself), I have no idea why. -_-, not to mention, the mouse pad is a bit worn out, and the battery cells are slowly dying. I have about 30-45 minutes on a full charge. So far, the only thing I have done was get a new charger for it, because the old charger couldn't hold a charge anymore. The screen hinges are loose I suppose (?). And to top it all off, the "h" key is a bit unresponsive, need to push hard on it. Besides all these.. quirks, it runs fine.

I use this primarily for browsing the web, stream movies (using headphones of course), word processor, programming(Old school through notepad. =P) I would like to play some games on it but can't. At most, I could play Anarchy Online for a bit. It would heat up but I never played it for long periods of time.
And at the same time, this laptop is used by my older brother, and people that stop by and want to check something online. Because my dad's laptop is slower. (needs an upgrade as well- hp compaq nc6220)

Secondly I have a dell dimension 4600 desktop set up in my room and the only issue I have with it is it's painfully slow. I upgraded the RAM from 512mb to 2GB, and it made a noticeable difference. Before the CPU would max out trying to open firefox. Haha. But it's still painfully slow.

I mainly use this for visual basic programming and programming in eclipses IDE (The hard drive on the laptop is too small for the frameworks/libraries/etc) and word processing.

Now, I was thinking about getting a netbook just for programming and occasional web browsing. besides that, I don't really go online.

My parents said they would get me a laptop anyway as a graduation present, so I didn't want to get that. And I thought, with the amount of upgrades the laptop would need, it wouldn't be worth it since it's old anyway.

Opinions? Do you think it's worth it? If so, any idea which I should go for?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom